?'s about Slackware!

Place to discuss Slackware
jrich4
user
user

?'s about Slackware!

Post by jrich4 » Wed Nov 19, 2003 1:17 am

I am going to tryout the Slackware 9.1. I am currently using RedHat 9.0. I have tried Slackware3.2 back in 97, then went to RedHat. I have also tried Mandrake, Suse, and FreeBSD. I have mainly used RedHat.What I want to know is does Slackware have or use Grub? Which filesystem is the fastest (I have heard that SGI XFS is the fastest, then Riserfls) . I am wanting a fast system, be able to do C, C++, Java programming, run a webserver for my own sites, and be able to play Unreal Tournament and other games online that run in Linux. Any other information, Help , comments, would be appreciated. This computer is going to be just Linux only. No dual boot, or windows.
Thanks,
jrich4

shuiend
scripter
scripter

Post by shuiend » Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:45 am

Slackware 9.1 is an excelent choice of a distro to switch to. I myself have gone from redhat to slackware and i love it. Slackware does not use GRUB. It uses LILO. you could install GRUB ur self if you wanted to but i see no reaon why when LILO works just fine for booting. I myself do soem programming in Linux and I find that slackware to be what i use most of the time. I have a slack box at skool and at home and it is very simple to move programs and such between the two. The web server part should not be that hard. I have never tried on slack but i am not seeing it any harder then any other distro. Gaming i have found works quite well in slackware. I use KDE and it is very quick which leaves alot of resources left for when i do play games. Make sure you have a Geforce card or one of the newer ATI cards with good drivers. The default vesa drivers suck at games. Also Winex is worth the 15$ it costs. I have used it many a times to keep myself from booting wndows. It runs a good amount of games and also other windows programs that i happen to like. ( got to go check on itunes). But other then those i have had no real probelms with slackware.

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality » Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:16 am

It wouldnt be too hard to install grub if you needed it. A webserver is easy just like red hat. I've never tried XFS and i believe you would have to install it after you install slack on Ext3 or ReiserFS. Slackware does come with the XFS Utils though.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:48 pm

www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=4622

that's all you'll need to know about installing grub, it's simply a normal "./configure & make & make install" if i remember correctly. I did make a slackpack of it when i installed it (using checkinstall) but i looked for it (to offer you) and i musthave deleted it or something. It's well easy though, and while it doesn't come with slack, grub takes seconds to install.

If you manage to get the fancy background picture that red hat has in grub to work though, let me know how.

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality » Sat Nov 22, 2003 6:34 pm

I got the picture to work.... but then again, i had it installed in redhat 7.2 and have just kept the same boot partition since then with the grub install intact.

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Sun Nov 23, 2003 4:34 pm

If you want to learn RedHat use Redhat, if you want to learn SUSE use SUSE, if you want to learn Linux use Slackware.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Mon Nov 24, 2003 6:14 pm

that is very true, and nicely put.

it's cheating to justkeep the same red hat grub! ;-) i did that before to the same effectbut it doesn't count! :-D