Formatting Resierfs

Place to discuss Slackware
shuiend
scripter
scripter

Formatting Resierfs

Post by shuiend » Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:49 pm

I got a 120gig hd and i want to set up a nice 70gig home partition. I already got slackware 9.1 installed so my plan was to format the artion and add it to fstab after i copy my home directory to it. Now when i try to format the partition i get an error.
$mkfs -t reiserfs /dev/hda5
is the command i use i get the following error. mkfs.reiserfs: No such file or directory
how do i format thwe partition as resierfs?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:11 pm

You need to have the reiserfs-utils installed.

shuiend
scripter
scripter

Post by shuiend » Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:32 am

yah i would think i would have those considering slackware uses resierfs by default. but i will go dl them and install them neways. Also from the Konqeuror if i just drag the home folder from its current location to the new partition will it copy all the .folders? also once i reboot and the new partition is mounted as /home what happens to the home folder that was allready there? and where do all those files go?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:03 am

shuiend wrote:Also from the Konqeuror if i just drag the home folder from its current location to the new partition will it copy all the .folders?
I don't know, try it and see. ;) Actually, I can't imagine using Konq for that anyway when normally a "cp -a src dest" is the way to go (keeps permissions in tact, etc).
also once i reboot and the new partition is mounted as /home what happens to the home folder that was allready there? and where do all those files go?
The files stay where they are on the old partition. Just create another mount point and mount the old partition on it. Then you have access to the new /home and the old /home (or whatever you want to name it). Once you get the files off of it you could use it for somethig else, or remove it and make one of your other paritions larger and then resize the file system.