slackware install on raid

Place to discuss Slackware
cdhgold
administrator
administrator

slackware install on raid

Post by cdhgold » Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:53 am

i'm installing slackware for the first time. I'm using 9.1 and of course i have to use fdisk to set up the partitions. i know sda would be first scsi disk and hda would be first ide but i'm using a scsi hardware raid. How do i refer to the raid? what would be the equivalent to sda or hda for the scsi raid? when i try a command like fdisk /dev/sda i get back
unable to open /dev/sda

Chris

cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Post by cdhgold » Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:28 am

disregard my previous question i realized i was not loaded with the correct image to enable driver support. i booted with the correct image and am now trying to figure out using fdisk to setup the partitions. any helpful fdisk resources would be appreciated

Chris

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:12 pm

cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Post by cdhgold » Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:21 pm

thanks for the reply. by the time i checked back here i had figured it out. I have setup my partitions and am now in file copy portion of slackware install. End result I'm trying for is to dual boot Slackware 9.1 and FC 1.

Thanks again,
Chris

cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Post by cdhgold » Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:14 pm

I have completed my 1st slackware install and system just tried to boot for first time. I get error of
VFS: Mounted root (reiserfs filesystem) readonly
Freeing unused kernal memory: 12k freed
Warning: unable to open an intial console.
Kernal panic: no init found. try passing init= option to kernal

Why woudl it be monting root as readonly and is that why it is not not booting? How do i fix this?

Chris

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:24 pm

My guess is that it is not mounting the proper partition for rootfs ("/") since the kernel can't find init. Did you create a boot floppy disk when you installed? Even if you didn't create a boot floppy you should be able to pass the kernel the proper root partition and then fix your boot loader config. Are you using LILO or GRUB? If lilo at the LILO: prompt type "linux root=/dev/sda1" (or whatever partition you created as your Slackware root partition). If GRUB press "a" and append "root=/dev/sda1" to the end of the kernel command line (again, using whichever partition is your real rootfs partition).

Another possibility is that you are booting a kernel that doesn't have SCSI support built in, or the kernel is build for SCSI driver modules and you don't have a proper initrd image and/or it's not in your LILO or GRUB configuration.

The only things I can't think of off th top of my head, although you should get different error messages if your SCSI drivers aren't being loaded.

cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Post by cdhgold » Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:00 am

using the command linux root=/dev/sda3 worked i guess i made mistake when setting up partitions and telling slack what to use which one for. now when i login as root i get
Unable to change tty /dev/tty1: read-only filesystem
Linux.
You have mail
Cannot execute /bin/bash: Too many levels of symbolic links

then a new login prompt what have i screwed up? i think i'm just going to reload slack since i could use the expereince and now know what not to do and have gotten past some of the install learning curve. thanks for the advice void will post again to update you

Chris

cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Post by cdhgold » Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:39 am

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my first slackware is installed on running smoothly!!!!!!!!! now to try to add fc1 to sytem and see if i can get dual boot running

Chris

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:10 pm

sweet... Slackware rules. I also have a dual boot between Slack an FC1, although i rarely use Fedora