About Swaret...

Place to discuss Slackware
insomnia
programmer
programmer

About Swaret...

Post by insomnia » Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:54 pm

I really started to like this tool..., so I don't know what to think about this:

(from Freshmeat)

> First of all, slapt-get caused me lots
> of Memory problems and leaks, even my
> kernel hung for a moment after upgrading
> glibc. I will NEVER use it anymore, rip
> off someone else.

Lest anyone should take this nonsense seriously, please be aware that it was written by Luc Cottyn (xbone), the author of swaret. He has been a pain in the Internet's neck for at least the past year. Last May, we received a report that he'd been spamming various IRC channels on freenode with advertisements for swaret. We asked him to explain this, and he blamed it on overzealous friends. He said he'd asked them to stop, and that was that.

Until October, anyway. Then he posted a comment on forum.swaret.org suggesting that people start spreading a rumor that slapt-get contains a trojan. He posted three such comments on linuxpackages.net in his inimitable l33t l4m3r style, and one on freshmeat (and probably at other places we don't know about). He again blamed it on his users, and I asked him to please try to get them under control.

He managed to contain himself (at least on freshmeat) until last week, when he posted the above junk on slapt-get's page and this on swaret's:

> I am VERY VERY happy for using this
> tool. Very happy, because i stopped
> using another management tool for
> slackware (broke my box, will not name
> it, go to hell). About swaret, the
> dependency support is really NEAT. My
> gnome packages were broken every time,
> and since i use swaret for about
> 5 minutes, i have no broken libraries
> anymore, because swaret fixed them!!
> -God Bless Swaret- Congratulations also
> to be part of the official slackware
> distribution!

We decided that we'd had enough, and we removed swaret from freshmeat. I wrote and told him that even if he wasn't involved in all of this, that we couldn't waste our time dealing with his childish users every few weeks.

He flew into a self-righteous flurry of emailing activity, writing us a dozen times a day to proclaim his innocence and demand justice, reaching a crescendo in which he told me: "You are like Bush, you are an American who likes war and hurt innocent people."

This went on until scoop sent him a copy of a section of freshmeat's logs which showed that the comments had been posted from the same IP address from which he updated swaret's listing a few minutes later.

He became mysteriously silent after that, and we never heard from him again.

I have no doubt that swaret is good and useful software, but if you use it, please be aware of the kind of people you're involving yourself with.

--
vs lbh pna ernq guvf, lbh'er n trrx.
Should I still consider it trustful? :?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:05 pm

Sounds pretty childish. I surely wouldn't use it if those comments came from the developer. Of couse I'm not a big freshmeat fan either.

Linux Frank
administrator
administrator

Post by Linux Frank » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:33 pm

At the end of the day Open Source is about freedom and choice. Use what you want, but be aware of other options.

Personally I take my associations very seriously, I won't use a company that stores confidential information on an M$ server, and I tell them so. I have already closed several bank accounts because they did or they switched to it, but I have never consciously not used an Open Source app. becasue the originator was a jerk.

I wouldn't dream of not using GNU software because I think RMS a bit of a loud mouth - and I don't agree with some things he says. Context. Of course running Linux without GNU is a bit like running without feet.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:45 am

I agree with you on the RMS statements, however, RMS is a very responsible person. This other guy does not appear to be very responsible or rational to me. I would have concern that it could carry over.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:21 pm

i have never used swaret, but i found slapt-get very good indeed. considering the slackware package management system has no inherent dependency checking, slapt-get is very good at what it does, and for such a young project (compared with apt-get for debian and red hat) is a welcome addition. in fact before slapt-get came on the scene i was thinking that that was exactly what slackware needed, a slack competent apt clone.

the personality of a developer or project head is not too important to me except that i put little trust in a project which is run by an immature imbecile purely because i like to think that the software i run has a future. slapt-get has a future in my opinion, and if i ever use slack again (there is no reason i shouldn't, i am just not using it right now) i will certainly be installing slapt-get based on my own experiences.

insomnia
programmer
programmer

Post by insomnia » Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:19 pm

Well, I just tried "slapt-get" and I don't like it at all.
I have a very weird sound architecture and slapt-get can't handle it.
Their's no way to disable any alsa upgrade...
It took me a lot of time to fix what slapt destroyed.

I guess i'll never use any auto-installation tool again...

Refalm
user
user

Post by Refalm » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:03 am

Wow, Swaret kicks ass. I'll use that instead of slapt-get.

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality » Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:22 pm

to disable the alsa upgrade you edit /etc/slapt-getrc and theres a spot for things not to upgrade...

EXCLUDE=alsa