Can a proxy go through a proxy?

Place to discuss Slackware
Doogee
administrator
administrator

Can a proxy go through a proxy?

Post by Doogee » Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:05 am

Sounds weird, but heres the reason.

I have two boxes at the moment, one is my server and one is just my normal computer i use. I want to set up a proxy server on the server machine to block ads and stuff like that, but the thing is, i run a web server on the server machine and to access my site correctly i have to go through a remote proxy, because for some very strange reason i cant access my Outside IP from inside the network.

So i want to either.

a. Make my proxy go through a proxy at my isp

b. make it so that when i access a page (foo.whatever) it willautomatically change it to a local IP, so that it was as if i was using the outside address but actually goign from inside the network.

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee » Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:10 am

no ideas?

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:59 pm

well... why dont you set your webserver to listen on both ethernet interfaces so that when you access your site from your dekstop machine it goes goes and connects to the LAN interface on your webserver.

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:02 pm

or.. i just thought of this.
You could use iptables to redirect all requests going to your LAN interface for port 80 (as in going to a website) to the proxy at your ISP.

This would be, in effect, making your ISPs proxy a transparent one.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:38 pm

All you should have to do is change your browser settings so it doesn't use a proxy for your web site's name and inside address. Create a host entry in your /etc/hosts that associates your web site name with your server's inside IP address and make sure it is listening on all interfaces as m0r suggested.

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:30 pm

yeah, i did that, i only realised (from the other day when we were mucking with virtual hosts) that i could use /etc/hosts to solve my problem, and it has.

Linux pwns

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality » Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:42 pm

well... yes... i suppose you could do that, which is what i have actually done in my LAN (i now recall). But wheres the difficulty and unnecessary complications.....