htpasswd command not found?

Place to discuss Slackware
ZiaTioN
administrator
administrator

htpasswd command not found?

Post by ZiaTioN » Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:25 am

Is there an equivilant htpasswd command for Slack? Or is the location simply not in my environment variable $PATH?

I am trying to password protect a web directory on a Slackware 9.1 system running Apache.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:15 am

It should have come with your Apache package and installed in /usr/bin. I see it in that directory in that package in the MANIFEST file over at ftp.slackware.com:

ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/s ... slackware/

ZiaTioN
administrator
administrator

Post by ZiaTioN » Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:04 am

Yeah that is what I thought which would mean that it would be in my $PATH by default since /usr/bin is usually always in each users $PATH.

However I found it in "/usr/local/apache/bin" so I just made the following entry to my .bash_profile, "export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/apache/bin".

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:07 am

Then apparently you didn't install the Slackware Apache package. You must have compiled/installed from source.

ZiaTioN
administrator
administrator

Post by ZiaTioN » Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:43 pm

Actually I did not compile or install anything. The box is not mine and I do not have root on it. It is a box the belongs to a friend which is hosting my webpage and various other applications, like email and dns resolution.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:30 pm

Then your friend compiled and installed Apache from source. :) It's not the Apache that comes with Slackware because if it was htpasswd would be in /usr/bin.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:28 pm

and perhaps it's in /usr/local/bin if it was compiled from source? unless some other prefix was passed during configuration? (and that made it sound like i actually know what i'm talking about! oop! did i type that out loud?)

ZiaTioN
administrator
administrator

Post by ZiaTioN » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:52 am

Yeah I am sure it resides where it is at for a reason. The box has been completely customly (is that even a word) setup for hosting the services that it does for multiple users. I was actually impressed with the way they setup Apache for hosting any number of name based vhosts.

I would just host my site on my systems as I have done in the past but I have outgrown my DSL connection and a free T1 is too hard to pass up. :)