gaim configuration (Mozilla)

Discuss Applications
worker201
guru
guru

gaim configuration (Mozilla)

Post by worker201 »

Hey, I use gaim in FC1, and I'm having a hard time viewing links that people send me. There is a browser configuration panel, which lets you choose between manual and gnome default. Gnome default is set to elinks, which I would rather not use. Is there a way to set Mozilla as the default?

The other option, manual, lets you put in a command to launch a browser of your choice. Does anybody know the proper command to open a new window in Mozilla from the command line?

Thanks a ton in advance

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux »

It should just be 'mozilla %s'

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 »

Maybe it should be, but it is not. I tried:
/usr/local/mozilla/mozilla
&
/usr/local/mozilla/mozilla %s

In both cases, if Mozilla is already open, it attempts to open a new instance, and gives an error message about how your profile is already being used.

What I would like is to have it open in a new tab or a new window, even if Mozilla is already running.

I would also kinda like it if you could copy and paste properly between gaim and other programs, but that's more of a pipe dream I think.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Since you are using mozilla out of /usr/local/bin I assume you weren't happy with the default mozilla install? The /usr/bin/mozilla script takes care of this issue and "mozilla %s" should work using it. You could make a copy of that script and modify it to call your /usr/local/bin binaries.

I don't use gaim but why can't you copy/paste? Can you select text? Have you tried CTRL+c and CTRL+v? Have you tried selecting text in gaim and then clicking the middle button on your mouse in the window you want to paste to?

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 »

Ok, gaim is letting me copy and paste now, for some reason - don't know why it wasn't working before.

I download the nightly builds of Mozilla once a week, so I decided not to install it into the OS (from the FC1 install cds). Maybe that was a dumb thing to do, eh?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Not if you want to test the nightly builds I guess it's not a dumb thing to do. :) But you still should be able to use the /usr/bin/mozilla script and just change the paths.

Here is the script, in case you don't want to extract it from your RPM:
http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/files/scripts/mozilla

Without looking too closely at it I don't believe there is anything else you should need other than modifying the paths. You'll notice a section that checks to see if it is already running and if it is it calls mozilla with the "openurl()" function and passes the URL that you passed to the script to it.

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 »

Cool, thanks, I will play with that, see what happens.

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 »

Minor update:

Everything's cool. I have the normal version of Mozilla (1.6) and a nightly build (1.8a) both running perfectly. The new version of gaim (0.79) works great with both.

Thanks for the tips.