making my first webpage

Discuss Applications
Basher52
guru
guru

making my first webpage

Post by Basher52 »

since im a big n00b in html and all that sort of things, i wonder what application to use to make a quite nice looking homepage?

ive heard of joomla, but it seems that this is "to hard" for me
and that postnuke should be better(?)

any other comments on this?

B52

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality »

vim

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

vim

I assume that you want more than just a home page considering both of the things you mention are content management systems. I don't know much about any of them as I have never used one. But yeah, for HTML and any other coding vim is it.

ZiaTioN
administrator
administrator

Post by ZiaTioN »

I would have to agree. Using any type of programming environment for any language breeds laziness and incompetance. You would be suprised how may people call themselves programmers but would be lost without their .NET framework. Not to mention if they were forced to code on a different platform other than Winblows.

Learning the ins and outs of a language will serve you better in the future and hand writing the code will help you learn it better than anything else.

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 »

well i agree that its better to start at the bottom, but i dont have enough time for that and since i "started" doing this for about 5 years ago and the code has come way up to 0(ZERO)bytes... i was wondering of some cheating software, cos i need to create a "fancy" page with little or no time.

and btw, i said html, but since i dont know much about this i cant say that html is the correct "language" for this.

The only this i want to use is PHP and MySQL and offcourse run in on a
M$ IIS...lol just kiddin', on a Linux box.
since i know that the use of linux will rise and eventually beat the crappy IIS :P

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

What are you talking about. Linux /Apache has *always* been way ahead of MS/IIS by a long shot. IIS has not and never will come close:

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality »

Is that linux and apache... or just apache on any OS?

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 »

what I ment was that where I work, Linux will be taken over
sorry i didnt write the whole sentence :(

Everyone here uses Winblows and MicroCraps applications, but I want to be "kinda" ready when it comes into use here.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Master of Reality wrote:Is that linux and apache... or just apache on any OS?
That is Apache on any OS but Linux is by far the largest percentage OS running Apache. There are graphs for that somewhere on netcraft too.

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 »

The only WYSIalmostWYG editor I know of for Linux is the one built into the Mozilla suite. The Mozilla suite is now known as SeaMonkey, and some very good alpha versions are available right now from mozilla.org. I've been using Alpha 1.0 and Alpha 1.2 to browse without any issues or crashes for about 3 weeks.

An editor that I like and recommend is Bluefish. It color codes your code, and can auto-complete tags. It also features a document tree on the screen, so you can quickly jump from one file to the next, for fast edits. It is not a WYSIWYG editor, but as far as hand-coding goes, it is pretty nice. Some editing environments are user unfriendly, and some get in your way. Bluefish has the right amount of assistance without trying to do the work for you.
http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/index.html

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 »

Ill check it out :D
thanks

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

hello? am i too late?

yes, for quick html editing of an existing page, i'd recommend mozilla composer, but for writing html bluefish (for gnome) and quanta (for kde) are the most efficient and helpful text editors for html i think.

or vim.