OpenOffice.org 2.0.0-3.2.1 Crashes

Discuss Applications
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

OpenOffice.org 2.0.0-3.2.1 Crashes

Post by Void Main »

A couple of weeks back my OpenOffice.org was upgraded from 1.9.125-1.1.0 to 2.0.0-3.2.1 and ever since Calc crashes often on my Calc spreadsheets while working in them. I also noticed some features were missing that were driving me nuts like not being able to change a range of data for a chart, etc. I reinstalled 1.9.125 and it's stable as a rock again. I don't know if it was a case of lingering settings from the old version causing the problem or if there really are problems with the latest update. At any rate, I've downgraded and put "^openoffice" on "Hold" in my /etc/apt/apt.conf until I have more time to investigate. In the mean time I am curious if anyone else had problems with theirs?

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality »

im not sure which OO im using specifically... 2.0 pre is what it says in "about".

There is some menus and toolbars that have changed, buit i think everything is still possible that was in previous OO. You can add the missing buttons to the menus and toolbars though if you go to view > toolbars > customize. Is what your looking for just hidden and can be added again.

Ive never had any problems with it crashing. Are the rpms your using from OpenOffice.Org, or are they created by someone else (i dont know how these apt repositories work)

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 »

I've heard various reports of dissatisfaction with the new OO. Each time, backing out to an older version has worked fine. So it's not just you :wink:

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Ok, as long as it's not just me. :) m0r, it's not just a matter of missing buttons on the toolbar or pulldown menu options. One specific example is when I right-click on data series line on a chart in calc there should be an option to change the data boundries. That option is missing. Everything else looks pretty much the same except for the constant random crashes. These were the official Fedora 4 RPMs from the official updates section. The last release was actually just a prerelease (also official Fedora RPMs) to this (1.95 beta something) which was distributed in many distros. It's funny the prerelease was rock solid and the official 2.0 release has stability issues.

ZiaTioN
administrator
administrator

Post by ZiaTioN »

It's funny the prerelease was rock solid and the official 2.0 release has stability issues.
Probably due to a last minute addition that did not get proper testing due to release date goals.

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 »

It seems like most of the crashing occurs when charts are being used. Not sure whether that's an OO issue, or some sort of strange Bonobo issue. But Ziation is probably right about it being a rush bug.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

I noticed there was another OpenOffice.org FC4 update back on the 4th (2.0.1-143.2.1). I upgraded to this version and played around a little with no crashes so far. I also figured out that the data series range is changed by right clicking on the chart itself rather than directly on the data series line in the older version. One thing that has been a HUGE pain in the rear for me has been fixed in this new version!! I had a sheet that just would not print in landscape. There was major confusion between landscape and portrait regarding print preview and actual printout. It now works like it is supposed to. I can't tell you how much of a pain that has been.

From what I have seen so far I recommend upgrading to 2.0.1-143.2.1 (apt-get dist-upgrade).

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality »

Void Main wrote:I recommend upgrading to 2.0.1-143.2.1 (apt-get dist-upgrade).
# emerge openoffice

:P