Sata and Linux

Discuss Applications
Basher52
guru
guru

Sata and Linux

Post by Basher52 »

I looking for some help here.
Ive been trying to fix the "ata command timeout" problem for the last 2 days, but i just cant find any answers :(
It all looks to me that its something with the drivers, kernel version and chipset for the sata controller.

I use FC4 with kernel: 2.6.10(i think it was) on a M/B ASUS A7N8X Deluxe that has an onboard SATA controller from Silicon Image, SiL 3112A.

It all looks, to me anyways, that this combination is waste of time to try and get this working.

yesterday i saw in my /etc/modprobe.conf that a scsi_nv was there, but since this M/B doesnt have any nforce sata controller, i just removed that line and the timeout didnt happen :) I was soo happy, but after about 2½ hours, there it was again :(

my boot disk is also a sata disk, and i think that is the reason my entire system hangs, i have to make a reset to get it to reboot.

my question is, should i just forget all this, and get some other hardware for this?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Have you tried the latest kernel? The first kernel FC4 included was a 2.6.11. The one currently availble in the updates is 2.6.14. In fact, I would update the entire system to the latest. Having said that, I have no experience with SATA but the first thing I would try is the latest FC4 kernel. You might also disable the kudzu service so your modprobe.conf isn't automatically updated.

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 »

my bad :( the version is 2.6.14-1.1637.

The more i look for a possible answer the more i get negative to ever find a solution, unless i set my self down and rewrite both the driver and kernel :P

ive seen alot that this problem has come and gone in previous kernels and drivers, so maybe the two developers cant agree, lol

and about the modprobe, it dont seems that is has rewritten the line i removed so thats good :)

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 »

after been trying to get this to work with no luck, i decided to change the hardware.
now i have the problem to even boot the previously installed system.
my linux friend told me that i can put in the reinstalled disk into this new hardware with no problems as he have done that previuosly.

he told me just to start a rescue CD, go and change the grub.conf and it should work fine.

i tried but i get error 6 mounting ext3
ERROR opening /devconsole!!!! :2
error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 0
error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 1
error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 2
switchroot: mount failed :22

when i got this i went back to the "rescue" and changed the fstab and device.map too with no luck

the old boot was on sda2
but when doing a rescue boot i see that disk as sde with its partitions.

so where have i made an error or maybe even forgot to change at all?