Converting partitions

Discuss Applications
Master of Reality
guru
guru

Converting partitions

Post by Master of Reality »

How would i go about converting an extended partition with one logical partition to a single primary partition?

I looked through parted but couldnt find a way to do it. Is there some way to do it, or do i have to delete the partition and recreate a primary partition in the exact same spot and will that work for FAT32?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Interesting question and I would think you could do it but I am not sure. What I would do is take note of your current exact partition configuration (sizes, beginning cylinders, types, etc) and/or make a backup of the partition table. Then in fdisk I would delete the logical partition and the extended partition and create a new primary partition with the exact beginning and ending cylinder of the original logical partition. You might want to set the partition number the same as it was when it was a logical. Of course also set the partition type. If it doesn't work you should be able to delete it and create the partitions exactly the way they were before messing with it and not suffer any problems.