synclient user settings: WHAT DO THEY MEAN?

Discuss Applications
quixote
n00b
n00b

synclient user settings: WHAT DO THEY MEAN?

Post by quixote »

I am being driven slowly insane by my synaptics touchpad. Because of Void's little tip way back when about how to turn off tap-to-click, I managed to avoid a rapid descent into homicidal lunacy. But window focus still changes on its own because I'm touching something, I don't know what. Scrolling, esp. horizontal, still acts funny and spontaneous.

I've tried changing synclient parameters to zero (eg EdgeMotionMinZ, EdgeMotionUseAlways) but it seems to have no effect. I've looked at the synclient man pages, I've googled the problem, but everybody quotes the same man page (except Void, who had the one useful bit of info) and has the same one example:
"
to disable EdgeMotionSpeed:
synclient EdgeMotionSpeed=0
To monitor touchpad events:
synclient -m 100
"
What I really want is a list of all the settings, what they actually do, and what their valid values are.

As for my immediate problem: all I want is for finger motion to do NOTHING but move the cursor across the screen. No scrolling, no tapping, no re-focusing. How do I do that??

I'll be eternally grateful for any help. I'll even buy you a beer if you're ever around LA.

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality »

i've had luck using qsynaptics to configure it (although, i wanted to get tapping and scrolling enabled).

Also, have you looked at the synaptics man page (man synaptics)? or the readme? (/usr/doc/synaptics*/README)

The readme doesnt appear to have much, but the man page does.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: synclient user settings: WHAT DO THEY MEAN?

Post by Void Main »

quixote wrote:As for my immediate problem: all I want is for finger motion to do NOTHING but move the cursor across the screen. No scrolling, no tapping, no re-focusing. How do I do that??
That's the way I like mine set. Here are the settings from my xorg.conf that make mine behave:

Code: Select all

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Synaptics"
        Driver      "synaptics"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto-dev"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
        Option      "LeftEdge" "1700"
        Option      "RightEdge" "5300"
        Option      "TopEdge" "1700"
        Option      "BottomEdge" "4200"
        Option      "FingerLow" "40"
        Option      "FingerHigh" "50"
        # Turn this sucker off!!!
        Option      "MaxTapTime" "0"
        Option      "MaxTapMove" "220"
        #Option        "VertScrollDelta" "100"
        Option      "VertScrollDelta" "0"
        Option      "HorizScrollDelta" "0"
        Option      "MinSpeed" "0.06"
        Option      "MaxSpeed" "0.12"
        Option      "AccelFactor" "0.0010"
        Option      "SHMConfig" "on"
EndSection
I don't have to install any special service like in the old days, X seems to have all the Synaptics bits included.

quixote
n00b
n00b

Post by quixote »

Yessss! I don't know how I managed to miss VertScrollDelta, but I did. It was set to 100. I'd reset HorizScrollDelta to 0 a while back. I also managed to miss UpDownScrolling which had been set to 1 on my system (now =0). Changing FingerLow and FingerHigh values to 40 and 50 also seems to have helped. (I had 25 and 30.)

I think I've been looking at "synclient" man pages and overlooked "synaptics." I'll go back and check those.

It sounds like different parameters (eg VertScrollDelta and UpDownScrolling) affect the same actions, ie vertical scrolling. Does one take precedence when they're in conflict? I wonder if part of my problem was that I'd reset some stuff, but not everything I needed to.

I'm saved. You can have a whole six-pack of real German beer!