Linux Software

Discuss Applications
moto526
scripter
scripter

Linux Software

Post by moto526 »

I have been looking and I am wondering if there is a linuz software tread?

With lists of software for linux noobs would be great for me, a noob...

Thanks,

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

I would suggest installing "apt" and "synaptic" (which is the the combo I prefer) and/or "yumex". Synaptic is a graphical front-end to "apt" which is a software search/retrieve/installation utility. yumex is a graphical front-end to the "yum" utility which is Fedora's default software search/retrieve/installation utility (I personally prefer apt as it's more standard across distributions). There is a lot of software in the official Fedora repositories if you include the "Extras" repository. I also like the RPMForge repositories which consist of a few other repositories of software that do not exist in the official fedora repositories.

If you are connected to the internet you should be able to just do this to install all of the above. Open a terminal and su to root:

Code: Select all

$ su -
Enter root's password
# yum install apt synaptic yumex
Assuming everything installed ok you should find synaptic and yumex (Yum Extender) on your menu. It will initially be configured to only point to the official Fedora repositories but you can add more repositories (I even have a repository for RPM packages I build).

moto526
scripter
scripter

Post by moto526 »

Void Main wrote:I would suggest installing "apt" and "synaptic" (which is the the combo I prefer) and/or "yumex". Synaptic is a graphical front-end to "apt" which is a software search/retrieve/installation utility. yumex is a graphical front-end to the "yum" utility which is Fedora's default software search/retrieve/installation utility (I personally prefer apt as it's more standard across distributions). There is a lot of software in the official Fedora repositories if you include the "Extras" repository. I also like the RPMForge repositories which consist of a few other repositories of software that do not exist in the official fedora repositories.

If you are connected to the internet you should be able to just do this to install all of the above. Open a terminal and su to root:

$ su -
Enter root's password
# yum install apt synaptic yumex
Assuming everything installed ok you should find synaptic and yumex (Yum Extender) on your menu. It will initially be configured to only point to the official Fedora repositories but you can add more repositories (I even have a repository for RPM packages I build).

Okay that was fun and scary.... :D

I am still having troubles getting flash to work... is it hard to get flash working?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

It was easy for me. Just install the "flash-plugin" RPM using one of the tools I mentioned in my last message. You can do it graphically or on the command line:

# yum install flash-plugin
I also like the Firefox extension "FLashblock" (installed from within Firefox) so it doesn't automatically play flash animations. It will instead show a button that must be pressed before the flash will play.

moto526
scripter
scripter

Post by moto526 »

They installed but I can't figure out where to look for them...?
Applications | Places | System

???

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

The Yum Extender is on the Fedora menu at the bottom of the System tools menu (or you can press ALT+F2 and type in "yumex" and ENTER). The Synaptic will get installed in the Fedora menu under "System"->"Administration"->"More System Settings" (or you can press ALT+F2 and type in "synaptic" and then ENTER). The Fedora team tries to hide apt and synaptic as much as they can because they would rather people use yum. To hell with them. :)

moto526
scripter
scripter

Post by moto526 »

Void Main wrote:The Yum Extender is on the Fedora menu at the bottom of the System tools menu (or you can press ALT+F2 and type in "yumex" and ENTER). The Synaptic will get installed in the Fedora menu under "System"->"Administration"->"More System Settings" (or you can press ALT+F2 and type in "synaptic" and then ENTER). The Fedora team tries to hide apt and synaptic as much as they can because they would rather people use yum. To hell with them. :)

No luck getting to them...
in System>Administration I only have file browser and software updater...

I tried the other trick from comand line and those were not found. :evil:

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

I don't believe you. :) Did you actually get them installed? Go to a terminal and type:

$ rpm -q yum
$ rpm -q yumex
$ rpm -q apt
$ rpm -q synaptic

(without the "$", I put that there to mean a normal user prompt. Likewise don't type the "#" in my previous example as it shows a "root" prompt (you must "su -" to become root first)). I'm about to start my drive home and then my bike ride and workout so I'll be off-line until about 8:30pm CDT.

moto526
scripter
scripter

Post by moto526 »

Well I got flash installed so I am doing good for now.... :D

This comand thing is WAY different for me... I have a lot to learn! :shock:

I still love Fedora!