Linux version of ITunes?

Discuss Applications
JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Linux version of ITunes?

Post by JoeDude »

Is there an itunes equivelant? I've been googling for an hour now, and there are a handfull that claim to be, Ubuntu says nothing about it...I could check their forums for it....Oh well I wanted to ask here any way.

The goal is to be able to transfer tunes to my wifes mobile phone and it has to be itunes or similar...it's the Motorola Razor V3i...

any help will be greatly appreciated by British Chick...I personally don't care, my phone doesn't store itunes

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux »

I think you need GTkpod or Rythmnbox, but i'd imagine worker has a better idea as an ipod user.

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 »

GtkPod works wonders for me, as an interface to the iPod.

However,
I have a Motorola v360, and I didn't need iTunes or GtkPod to transfer music to my phone. My phone has a mini-SD card, about 128MB I think. Plugging the phone directly into the computer using a USB cable (I did this on a Mac, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't work in Linux or Windows) is just like plugging anything in with a USB cable - a drive appears in the usual location that you can use just like any other. The directory structure on my phone includes a folder called 'Audio', and you can drag music files into there. My phone can only play mp3 files, and they cannot have a bit rate greater than 192kbps. Once you have transferred the songs, it is a simple matter of navigating to them using your telephone's menu system.

Anyway, that works for me. Your system should be similar. The cable I used was a standard mini-USB. The mini-SD card also came with a card-slot adapter, so it could be plugged into any SD card outlet.

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude »

Well it sounds pretty similar. I used GTKpod when my wife got home. It worked, but all the tunes were put in mobile/audio. I was trying the ipod side and was a bit too impatient for the workings of gtkpod and didn't want to try and figure out how to get them in the M4a format for itunes menu. It worked, the wife is happy and I was even able to bluetooth the rocks theme song to my mobile :D

Thanx for the help. Now if I can figure out how to with banshee. According to the product notes, it's fully itunes/ipod capable.

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 »

JoeDude wrote:It worked, but all the tunes were put in mobile/audio.
Yeah. Now why can't you just access mobile/audio from your computer? Unless it has some really nasty device settings or some other kind of total hardware lockout, you should be able to get in manually.
JoeDude wrote:Thanx for the help. Now if I can figure out how to with banshee. According to the product notes, it's fully itunes/ipod capable.
Banshee looks pretty interesting. It's a C# program, and requires mono. It's released under the X11 license, which I don't know much about. I notice that they don't mention any forks from other projects on their page, or much about who the development team is. I wonder if this is some corporate developer in a suit trying to build a market for itself? Based on the screenshots, the program seems to have some kind of connection to a music database and/or some mp3 supplier. In short, I'm not totally certain this is truly open software. Of course that doesn't mean much. Hell, I actually use iTunes on my Mac.

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude »

I didn't even know I had banshee until I was searching the Ubuntu forums. It kept getting back to it. I checked and thee it was in the sounds menu.

It is similar in appearance to itunes, but it obviously works differently. I read somewhere you have to have gtkpod for banshee to work...

Regardless, if for no other reason, It catagorizes and organizes all my music files nicely, even from my wifes XP partition. I don't have to reload them every time either, or put up with the mystery playlist that doesn't work after shutting the app down like with XMMS.

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality »

I've been using Amarok recently for my ipod