FC5 and yum

Discuss Applications
Basher52
guru
guru

FC5 and yum

Post by Basher52 »

sorry to ask about yum since you seem to havte it, this but i think someone knows this.

is there a way to automatically install all dependencies that an RPM package way have instead of installing them by hand?

maybe by piping them to the rpm -Uvh or something.
but in that case i think i need to cut the important stuff out, but i just cant
figure out 'awk'.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Resolving dependencies is exactly what apt and yum do. I don't understand your question. You should be able to just "apt-get install yourpackage" or "yum install yourpackage" and any dependencies should be installed with that package. If this is an RPM that is not in a repository but all of it's dependencies are in the repository with apt you can install the RPM first and then have it install all the dependencies. e.g.

# rpm -Uvh --nodeps yourpackage.rpm
# apt-get -f install

I think with yum all you should have to do is:

# yum install yourpackage.rpm

Not sure about the yum command though.

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 »

I can help you out with awk. But I'm not sure why you would need it. Shouldn't it warn you of dependencies, and then download them for you? Personally, I recommend a package manager. Smart worked well for me, and it can deal with yum and apt formats in the same program. By choosing to install one package, all dependencies are automatically chosen as well.

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 »

ok, so here am i again then, not adding the repositories.
but if this is supposed do do the dependencies why install a another package program?
i still gotta add the correct respo's to get that one to work, right?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

No you don't have to install another program. Did you try what I suggested? If you did and are having problems then I need a little more information:

1) What is the exact RPM you trying to install and where did you get it?
2) What are the exact error messages you get when you try to install it as I suggested?

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 »

im sitting here writng a looong nice post, and just realized that its NOT yum that is the problem, its the: rpm -Uvh .... :P :P sorry guys

and we all(?) know how that looks:
(just an example, NOT what im trying to install)

rpm -Uvh cheops-0.59a-1.i386.rpm
error: failed dependencies:
libgdk.so.1 is needed by cheops-0.59a-1
libglib.so.1 is needed by cheops-0.59a-1
libgtk.so.1 is needed by cheops-0.59a-1

what my question SHOLD have been is:
is there a way auto-install these packages thats missing.

what im trying to do is to get a PVR program to work with my old ATI 9800 PRO AIW on a system that im not using)
After trying MythTV and noticed that this cant handle the card im now over to Freevo that is supposed to fix it using the module bttv.(substory... ive tried this for 3 days and it just wont work, it loads the driver but the /dev/video0 is still not there)

Anyways... first i only found small packages for MythTV and there was a long chain of missing dependecies and its HERE i started to wonder if it could auto install them somehow.
im not sure how rpm works, but it does check all files in my local rpm database to see if they are present but not installed, right? if they are, they will get installed, or?

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

what to do is, install all of those with your apt (or yum). Just get the list of dependencies, then install them with apt-get install missinglib anothermissinglib missingutil et cetera. If any of those have dependencies (which is the real crippler) then apt will resolve them for you. If you get an error about a particular package not being in any repository, then you can get that one package from rpm.pbone.net and just take it out of the install list for apt.

If this process is too involved, then sorry, it's the way i use to install anything that isn't able to be completely sorted by apt alone, and it's worked for everything so far that i have tried to install in fedora core 4 (which is maybe a dozen things, usually apt can do the full dependencies no bother).

does this help? rate me on a score of great to crap (only kidding, i know where i stand on that scale! :-D )

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 »

hmm, im getting dizzy here => rating=crap, lol

i cant SAY how i understood you, but ill try to show it.
example:

yum install aaa.rpm
bbb is needed by aaa.rpm

i have to install bbb so be able to get aaa to install, so i:

yum install bbb.rpm
ccc is needed by bbb.rpm

i have to install ccc so be able to get bbb to install, so i:

yum install ccc.rpm
ddd is needed by ccc.rpm

etc etc, but this is just the problem, but this could also be the cool dependency hell

but as i understood you, apg-get will ONLY do this on ONE level, the rest will work, like, ONLY have to install bbb.rpm manually and the ddd and ccc will get installed, but yum wont do that.

did i get you right?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Actually you are going to have a tough time with this one. Normally what I said (and Calum and the others) in my previous post would have helped you out, but only if the 3rd party package you were trying to install was built against the version of the distribution you are using. The RPM you are trying to install was built against a Red Hat 8 system and the binaries in it were linked against libraries that do not exist in the current Fedora releases.

So normally in this case I would suggest that you get the source RPM and do an "rpmbuild --rebuild yourpackage.src.rpm" but I just tried this and it doesn't compile (at least not on FC5). I could probably fiddle with the source and get it to build for you but I am curious if you really want to mess with a program that appears to be as old and as abandoned as this one? What version of Fedora are you running? Can you provide more details on what you are ultimately trying to accomplish?

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 »

Void Main wrote:...The RPM you are trying to install was built against a Red Hat 8 system...
if by this you mean the example i vrote "rpm -Uvh cheops-0.59a-1.i386.rpm" i sure can understand the problem, because as i said, its just an example how the errors looks, its NOT the rpm i installed. So I hope you wont put alot of hours trying to figure this package out :P

The thing i tried was MythTV(lastest build) its it was this thing that had all the nested dependencies, but this nice little utility didnt have any support for my tuners chipset so i started to try Freevo, and this is the place im right now, and OFF COURSE having trouble with :P

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Can you point me to the RPMS? Are the RPMS built for the same version of distro you are using? If so you should be able to go back and use my last example without any problem, assuming you have your yum configured properly. And please, use the exact examples of what you are trying to do rather than hypotheticals. It would make this go so much easier. :) Cut and paste the exact output including the command that produced the output.
Last edited by Void Main on Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Basher52 wrote:but as i understood you, apg-get will ONLY do this on ONE level, the rest will work, like, ONLY have to install bbb.rpm manually and the ddd and ccc will get installed, but yum wont do that.
If all of the needed packages are in the repository except for the one you are trying to install then apt and yum should pull those needed packages from the repositories and install them at the time you install the one RPM that isn't in the repository. If you have several RPMS downloaded that need to be installed, add them all on the same command line, not one at a time. apt and yum will see that the other needed packages that aren't in the repository are in the command line thus resolving the dependency.

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 »

Void Main wrote:Can you point me to the RPMS?
I know the place of it(and probably you too), but its of no use since i noticed that MythTV wont work with my tuner.

Void Main wrote: If you have several RPMS downloaded that need to be installed, add them all on the same command line, not one at a time. apt and yum will see that the other needed packages that aren't in the repository are in the command line thus resolving the dependency.
and by this you mean(i hope) that if: aaa.rpm needs bbb.rpm i can just: yum aaa.rpm bbb.rpm and bbb will be installed before aaa so satify its need?
if so, why cant it see, that even if i DONT write it on the same line it cant find the dependency :P

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

If you would copy/paste the output of the command along with the command I could probably answer that question, or at least have enough information to ask you another question.

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 »

well.. as i cant do that right now... I'll be back with more info about it, IF!! I notice this depenency-hell again.

well... as I'm a developer too (not in the correct segment though, and I mean WinBlows) I do understand your questions, asking for an examples :) but since I... and every user i've been close to, do not EVER have that info... lol we are were we are, are'nt we... right lol

As of now, I can't give you the exact information of the errors, after i recognized that i couldnt use the MythTV, and i have no energy to reinstall the whole OS just for that.

my, as i didnt thought, not so simple question was...
how i could get the 'rpm xxx' to work better if it even was possible.

If i can remember this later I will "reclame" thisa thread and repost on it.