FC5 and yum

Discuss Applications
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Hmmm, well I am pretty sure there was a very easy answer to your question as I have just installed MythTV on FC5 without any of the trouble you speak of. I can't however trouble-shoot the problem if you don't tell me exactly what the problem is. I have absolutely no doubt that I can explain the solution to your problem once you tell me exactly what the problem is. It's like having a problem with the engine in your car and you take it to the car dealer to get it fixed but you tell them you have a problem with your transmission. :)

There is a simple step by step howto for MythTV on Fedora here:

http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

Basher52 wrote:hmm, im getting dizzy here => rating=crap, lol

i cant SAY how i understood you, but ill try to show it.

but as i understood you, apg-get will ONLY do this on ONE level, the rest will work, like, ONLY have to install bbb.rpm manually and the ddd and ccc will get installed, but yum wont do that.

did i get you right?
not really.

apt and yum are supposed to resolve dependencies automatically. if i install one thing, mplayer for instance, i only need to do "apt-get install mplayer". The mplayer rpm depends on a whole whack of other things (codecs and so forth) which are automatically installed too. That's it. It's easy.

The problems arise when your package isn't in an apt repo which you have defined in your sources.list files. If that is the case, then you could do "rpm -Uvh nameofrpm.rpm" and find out what it depends on from the error message, then do "apt-get install dependencyname" to install your dependency. if that one has any dependencies itself, they will be installed automatically by apt. This will avoid you having to search for your dependencies one by one from the error messages.

This is why apt is superior to hunting the rpms down yourself, and it appears that you haven't seen this to be the case, judging by what you have said. As for yum only recursing down one level through the dependencies, i have no idea. this is because i think yum is rubbish, and anyway apt is fine, so i haven't had to resort to yum. I am not one of the many people who believe that if something's not broken, it should be fixed until it is. I will say however that a network based package upgrade manager would be almost as worthless as no package manager at all to me if it can only recurse down by one level of dependencies. I used to use mandrake, so i know how painful it can be trying to keep all your packages up to date!

Secondly, i might note in passing that as i read through this thread i find it staggering how little information you've given. Void main has asked time and again for specifics and every time you have not answered his questions! don't get me wrong, i'm not having a go at you but i do think it very funny indeed how often i see this on forums such as these, that the person having a problem has others running around trying to fix it for them, and yet they are not willing to post any actual error messages or any real data concerning the problem. If i had a problem, i would recreate it on the command line and then copy the entire block into my post as an appendix. have a look here for an example of a thread that's full of helpful lines of output!

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 »

Calum wrote: Secondly, i might note in passing that as i read through this thread i find it staggering how little information you've given. Void main has asked time and again for specifics and every time you have not answered his questions! don't get me wrong, i'm not having a go at you but i do think it very funny indeed how often i see this on forums such as these, that the person having a problem has others running around trying to fix it for them, and yet they are not willing to post any actual error messages or any real data concerning the problem. If i had a problem, i would recreate it on the command line and then copy the entire block into my post as an appendix.
I know that not enough information will not get you any help, and as i too said a couple of time is, that when i was trying to install MythTV when this happened, i kept trying and finally found another installer that had all the things it was asking for and thereby i cant reproduce the errors again.
and since i also figured out that i cant use MythTV for my tuner, i havent got the energy to get the exakt errors just for this, sorry.

Very often when im sitting down to fiddle with something in Linux and some error occurs etc. I do keep trying of my own and later, it could be days later when i realize im stuck, then i make a question, and by that time everything ive tried will be gone and i cant do the copy of the block as you say. Even worse if i keep trying with different kits or manually install something that the application needs, at this time i just cant reproduce the error, unless reinstall the entire OS :( but i try to get an answer anyways for what i could have done instead.
... and when im sitting there trying and then getting stuck, im kinda impatient and dont want to make a question somewhere for someone to answer days later, even though Void Main is one of the most helpful guy ive ever seen. This i see as a last resort when i think i've tried everything i can and when this happens i have no other thing to do than wait for a possible answer.

PS. I'll include better info next time :)