Re: Screen Size For MythTV

Discuss Applications
1mck
n00b
n00b

Re: Screen Size For MythTV

Post by 1mck »

Hi Void,

I've had "My Geek" (He owes me money, so he's my bitch;-), build me a PVR Using Fedora 3, I believe, and of course MythTV.

I'm having a problem with it not filling up my entire LCD TV screen. It is an older Sharp LCD with no connections for the computer other than the RCA jacks, and the S-Video. A friend of mine stated that it could possibly be that it is being "Windowed", but I don't know what to do, since My Geek is away for a while at a Start-up company.

Anyway, if you have any advice, or can help to point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

1mck

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

How far off from filling the screen is it? I actually had the same problem initially but it is very easy to adjust. There are two places to adjust this depending on whether it is your menus or your videos that are out of place or not sized correctly.

If it's your video then go under Setup->Setup->TVSettings->Playback there is a page called "Overscan" about 8 pages deep. You'll want to play with the 4 adjustments there. The Vertical/Horizontal over/underscan settings changes the width and hight and the x/y displacement settings move the entire thing up/down/left/right.

If it's your menus then go under Setup->Setup->Appearance and the second page should be "Screen Settings". I adjust my GUI width/hight there and move it (left/right/up/down) with the offsets. My settings are 642/444/34/16 but yours will surely be different. I also have "Use GUI size for TV playback" unchecked and "Run the frontend in a window" unchecked (no borders and fills the entire TV screen). I also do not use separate video modes for GUI and TV playback (a checkbox on the "Video Mode Settings" page) but you may need to. Try all the other settings to get it right first. Now, I am running a PVR-350 card that has it's own TV out which I run to a regular TV so I can't say that my settings would be the same.

What version of MythTV are you running? I am running version 0.20 on Fedora Core 6.

1mck
n00b
n00b

Post by 1mck »

Hi Void,

Thank you so much for the quick response!

Okay, I have tried all of your suggestions for the settings; however, I've had no luck in affecting the size of the screen on my LCD TV.

It is approximately a 3/4 of an inch height and width from filling the screen even for the menus, and when I went in to change the menus, I set it to 20, and instead of making it bigger, it made it smaller. I tried to make it a negative number, but it wouldn't let me.

The overscan has no effect on expanding the menus, or the TV/Video.

I have MythTV Version 2.0, the same as yours.

My Geek and I even did a test to see if a regular TV would still show the band around the screen, and it too was the same.

The PVR-350 card has the same outs as yours as well as the input for FM Radio.

I'm kind of out of my depth here, and I'm at a total loss as to why this is happening. Perhaps it has something to do with the video card itself, and I also have a problem with the TV being really grainy.

Anyway, I really appreciate your input into this, and I hope this will be resolved.

1mck

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

I'm not really a MythTV expert, in fact I am very new at it. If those things don't help then I would suggest posting your issue on the MythTV mailing list or forums where there are a lot more people who are a lot more smarter at it than I am can help. Here looks like a well posted Myth forum:

http://www.mythtvtalk.com/forum/

And here is the MythTV users mailing list:
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users/

I have posted to that mailing list before when I needed help with something.

I run MythFrontend on my laptop which has an LCD (obvously) and it looks great. Better than the regular TV but I am sure that's because I am running it at 1024x768 on the laptop and the TV is only 640x480. I'm not sure why it wouldn't fill your screen. It should take negative numbers in your settings though.

1mck
n00b
n00b

Post by 1mck »

I think I'll wait until My Geek gets back from California, and then I'll discuss what you've suggested to me.

I'll get him to post to the MythTV Forums if he can't figure it out.

Once again, thanks for all of your help.

1mck