gcompris...does this make sense to anyone?

Discuss Applications
JoeDude
administrator
administrator

gcompris...does this make sense to anyone?

Post by JoeDude »

terminal wrote:joey@joey-desktop:~$ gcompris

** (gcompris:9332): WARNING **: config_file /home/joey/.gcompris/gcompris.conf

** (gcompris:9332): WARNING **: Requested locale '' got 'en_GB.UTF-8'
open /dev/sequencer: No such file or directory
Opened audio at 44100 Hz 16 bit stereo, 2048 bytes audio buffer
__main__:1: DeprecationWarning: Module gnome.canvas is deprecated; please import gnomecanvas instead

** ERROR **: ERROR: Failed to set back the original resolution XRRSetScreenConfig returned status = 1

aborting...
Aborted
joey@joey-desktop:~$
I checked, I have all of gnomecanvas installed....so...what happened?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

I had never heard of this but it does appear to be included with FC6 and after an "apt-get install gcompris" it fired right up. I didn't realize it was going to take over my entire screen and start playing music. It was a little embarrassing since I did this at work and it took me a minute to figure out how to exit the program. :)

I'll do some searching and see what I come up with. What distro are you running again and where did you get the copy of gcompris, from the main gcompris site?

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude »

LMAO!!! The same happened to me!

It's off synaptic. I'm running Ubuntu 6.06 LTS on this box. Thanx. My kids play it alot...heehe, you should see the look on peoples faces when they come over and see a 2 and 3 year old jump on a linux box, fire it and childsplay up, then start playing the games in it. It's got a lot of great early learning stuff in it...plus, my kids are using Linux first ;)

BIG EDIT:

Ok, I think I have reproduced it, but it's still baffling. It happens whether through command line or application launch through icons when I have Azureus running, which also uses java jre. I can shut down azureus, but it still happens. I am forced to reboot then it works fine, as long as I don't boot azureus. At first I though maybe it was a shared library that isn't being released for some reason, but that doesn't make much sense either. weird...

BTW: I still have no idea.

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux »

Do you use Sun java, or that funny GNU thing that fedora shipped with?

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude »

It's SUN, installed through...oh wait, not synaptic, Automatix2...let me check. Yup, it's Suns. I still have a jre problem with the warning notifications not going away/closable in azureus as well, even though I did what a few sites said. I think it's a bug in azureus that they plan to leave until the next version.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

I ran it last night on the laptop and it froze up after a couple of minutes. Maybe it's not just you.

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude »

What game were you playing?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Not sure what it was. I played the first one (some sort of soccer game) and then clicked on the next one on the list and she froze up taking my mouse with it. I was able to ALT+F2 and "killall gcompris" though and get control of things again.

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude »

Here's one my son found...constant and repetative clicking of the mouse buttons causes the screen to go black with a big white cursor arrow over it. The mous moves it, but you can't bring up the comand window. It's like it's stuck between programs or something....I can't tell you which game he's playing when this happens...for obvious reasons :)