firefox closing itself

Discuss Applications
cdhgold
administrator
administrator

firefox closing itself

Post by cdhgold »

i'm using firefox 1.5.0.9 8 under FC6 and firefox is clsoing itself a few times a day seems to ahppen most often when moving my mouse across the screen and scrolling the window .. esp since this is a work system and a LOT of my time is spent in browser based app this is getting to be VERY annonying!!

any ideas?

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 »

Simplest thing to do: launch Firefox from a terminal window instead of from an icon or menu. Then when those error messages get sent to stderr, you can see them, and maybe find out why the 'fox is crashin. That's what this is, by the way - when Firefox crashes, it just closes, usually with no warning and no report.

cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Post by cdhgold »

it just crashed again and i got nothing in the terminal window where i had launched firefox from where else could i look?

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 »

What kind of browser app are you talking about?
Is it java based, flash or another proprietary web interface, ....
Perhaps the problem isn't firefox-related?
Have you tried another browser like Opera or Seamonkey/Mozilla?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

I don't have any problems with Firefox and haven't in quite some time. I can say the last time I did have a problem like that it was due to a buggy installation of the Flash plugin or a buggy Java applet neither of which are really a Firefox issue (although that has actually been debated quite heavily).

cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Post by cdhgold »

the web app is an internal company intreface not sure what it is written in .. and i can't use differernt browser because some of the features are tied into firefox .. is there any log files where i could go to see what the problem is ...

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Hmmm, if it were me I would probably enter this issue on a bug report over at Firefox and see if someone can give you some trouble-shooting steps. Just out of curiousity, does this web app use any Java or Flash? If not can you remove any Java or Flash plugins if you have them installed just to eliminate them? Also if you can disable JavaScript and see if that effects it. You might also run Firefox from the command line and in another shell run top and see if it's a memory leak issue. Make sure the machine you are using it on isn't running out of memory, or that firefox isn't eating it all up before the crash, etc.

cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Post by cdhgold »

the app does use some javascript no flash .. will try to see if memory issue

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Even if it doesn't use flash I would remove the flash plugin temporarily just to eliminate it (maybe be a problem that occurs just by loading it). Also, I have had a few Firefox crashes since the last update of Firefox and Flash (a week or so ago). It was very stable prior to the last update I did. I think it is when I upgraded flash. The reason I upgraded from the older beta 9 to a newer beta 9 was because of a memory leak in the older one that would eventually cause a crash after viewing a certain amount of flash animations. I didn't view a lot of flash so it wasn't too much of a problem but I decided to upgrade anyway. I think this is when I started getting more firefox crashes. I suspect that it might also be Firefox itself though. I am able to get it to crash on certain flash and Java applets. I might have to go back to the previous update and see if I continue to have the problem. My current version is firefox-1.5.0.9-1.fc6.

cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Post by cdhgold »

what is best way to disable my flash plug-in?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

The best way would be to remove it from /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins (or whatever other plugin directory you might have placed it in). You can just move it to some other location until you've eliminated it as the source of the problem and then move it back.

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 »

The plugin can also commonly be found in the ~/.mozilla and ~/.firefox directory trees.

cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Post by cdhgold »

the final fix for this was to upgrade to firefox 2.0.0.1 .. it also worked with all my extensions

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Cool! Glad to hear you got things working properly.