Anybody know anything about Videotrans?

Discuss Applications
JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Anybody know anything about Videotrans?

Post by JoeDude »

I am looking to do all my DVD movies in Linux now. While searching for a good transcoder, I found Videotrans on sourceforge. Anybody that has any experience here imput would be appreciated...even if it's not about videotrans, but maybe another .deb compatible (I'd prefer not to alien if I don't have to).

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Are you talking about putting home movies to DVD? Have you tried Kino? I have used it for a long time, it's a pretty slick app. I use MythTV to transcode and dump recorded video to DVD. It even creates nice menus.

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude »

no, to be honest, I haven't heard of it. Every time I do a search for transcoding, I get a multitude of results. Mencoder kept popping up, but it's not exactly what I want. I need to be able to convert like .avi or mpeg into vob so it's dvd compatible. then I need to tun it into an iso and burn it on a dvd.

I'll take a look at Kino then. Thanx.

Is this the kino you speak of?

http://www.kinodv.org/

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude »

OK, been trying Kino. This is going to take some time to get used to.

Maybe I should be more specific:

I am looking to transcode MPEG and AVI (whether from downloaded clips or my video cameras) into a compatible format for a DVD player. I've done the import funtction with Kino and it did transcode (much faster then Nero) to raw DV format. Now I just need to figure out how to get it into that Video_TS and Audio_TS, filing, then into an iso, and then to burn it....

The problem was, as I have found through way too much reading. Nero seems to cause a power calibration error. There were several reasons listed for this (cheap media, dirty lense, DVD burner breaking down, NERO specifically). I don't have any of these problems in linux though.

So it seems high time I abandone the last of my strings to windows and learn to do this in Linux.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

There are many ways to do this manually. Here's an example:

http://gecius.de/linux/dvd.html

I have also used a pretty cool GUI (that also has command line ways) to put together DVDs called "tovid":

http://tovid.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

I don't do a lot of authoring so it's very probable that none of what I mention is the "best" or "easiest" way to do what you are wanting to do.

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux »

worker201 is into his sort of thing if you can get ahold of him.

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude »

I think I have figured out QDVDAuthour...once I got passed it crashing all of the time (it's not fixed, it seems to be something you just have to put up with). I am trying to transcode (gtranscode gets huge all of a sudden, so I went back to QDVD) and burn some MPEG files to DVD for a dvd player which doesn't read anything but stuff formatted for DVD (whatever that is).

Now, I have this repeating scroll going on sayin:

Code: Select all

WARN: Skipping sector, waiting for first VOBU...
So, I'll wait and see what happens.