Evolution and PSTs

Discuss Applications
cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Evolution and PSTs

Post by cdhgold »

Does anyone know a way to get Evolution on Fedora7 to read and/or write to a outlook PST file?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

I assume you are dual booting and want to read your Outlook local mail folders when booted in Linux? I don't believe Evolution has a way of directly reading the proprietary PST files. The only way I know how to do it is to connect your Outlook and your Evolution to an IMAP server and store your mail there. That's probably not an option if this is a mobile device. The only other way that I know of would be to export your mail into a standard mail format and then import it into Evolution. I did a little searching on Google and it seems Mozilla on Windows (probably Thunderbird) can save the data in a format Evolution can read.

Here's an IMAP solution:
http://www.howtoforge.com/converting_ou ... to_maildir

If you want to do this for reasons I think you want to do this then I don't know of any good way off the top of my head.

cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Post by cdhgold »

actually i'm not dual booting is a pure fedora7 load .. i have 2 systems at work one running fedora7 as my primary workstation the other running the corporate load if windoze .. outlook and its ability to archive old messages from exchange mailbox to PST is about my only use of the windoze box and i would like to get rid of it

cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Post by cdhgold »

even if I do get the PST file converted into a linux file format ..is there anyway in evolution i have overlooked to have it do auto archiving

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

I'm not sure if there is any way to configure archiving within Evolution. I keep all my mail on an IMAP server and occasionally create archive folders and manually archive old mail into them. I guess worst case scenario is to use another app to do the archiving. Evolution stores it's mail folders in mbox format files (just like your normal UNIX inbox and IMAP folders). There are gobs of programs out there that manipulate mbox files although I am not familiar with any auto-archiving apps.