multiple backgrounds in gnome?

Discuss Applications
cdhgold
administrator
administrator

multiple backgrounds in gnome?

Post by cdhgold »

KDE very easily lets you assign a different background to each virtual desktop how can this same thing be done in GNOME?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

I'm not sure what OS or version of GNOME you are running but in F7 I have this thing on my GNOME Accessories menu called "wallpapoz" that allows you to change the individual workspace wallpapers. There is an installed RPM called "walpapoz" that is part of the Fedora project. I'll bet there is a package for your distro if you don't already have it.

cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Post by cdhgold »

my primary OS is Fedora 7 where i live in KDE ..was trying the above in ubuntu VMware guest for grins ..the add/remove app does not show that package

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Looks like you can get it from here:

http://www.gtk-apps.org/content/show.ph ... tent=63639

Of course there may be other ways to do what you want already in the configuration editor or other. Maybe Ubuntu has an app for this?

cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Post by cdhgold »

got it working just had to install a python package from ubuntu and download and install walpapoz from the python script

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

sounds complicated.

i actually have this, and it's just from a script that i downloaded and slapped into /usr/local/bin and then added the script to the list of things to run when gnome starts my session. it just cycles through the wallpapers you already have set up in gnome, and you can change some parameters, like how long it waits on each wallpaper, just by editing the script.

Should i go and find the script (and where i downloaded it from) and post here, or is this issue now closed?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Does that script allow you to put different wallpapers on each of the virtual desktops?

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

no it doesn't, that would be nice.

i think that comes "as standard" with XFce though, which is definitely superior to gnome in many ways. Why do i even use GNOME in fact, come to think of it, i was using XFce for ages. I think i changed to gnome purely so i could get the little area where you can minimise your gaim (or pidgin?) to. oh yes, and XFce's applets are a bit naff these days, in fedora at least, and i can't live without a decent runbox on the toolbar.

i'll look out that script and post the link to its site and all that. it might be easy to adapt for different wallpapers on different workspaces, for all i know.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

and i may be slow on the uptake but i get there in the end.

i did originally think we were looking for something that changes the background periodically, which is not in gnome, but is in XFce and KDE i think.

Anyway, for a regular background changer (yes, regular meaning "regular" not "average"!) here's where i got mine: http://www.tu-harburg.de/~vkv/gbgchange/