startup scripts.

Discuss Applications
Calum
guru
guru

startup scripts.

Post by Calum »

hi all, i have a program that only runs in windows. it is a program that processes information using your spare CPU clock ticks to try and help find a cure for cancer, in a similar way to the way the seti client works. the program can set itself to run automatically when you start windows, but since i tend not to use windows at all, this is not helpful to me. the program can be run in linux using the command wine /C/Program\ Files/United\ Devices/ud.exe and as far as i am aware it needs to be run with XWindows already going. now i want this program to be run automatically whenever a user logs in. how can this be done? i tried adding the command to the bottom of .login but that doesn't seem to work. where should i put it so it executes automatically when a user logs in?

thanks.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Depends on which Window manager you use. If you use Gnome you should be able to just log in, start the app, log out and save your session which should cause it to start up automatically next time. Or on Red Hat 8 you can click on the Red Hat menu->Preferences->Control Center->Extras->Sessions->Startup Programs->Add. On KDE you create a desktop shortcut to the command and place it in your ~/.kde/Autostart directory. You could also place the command carefully in the /usr/bin/startkde script. Other Window managers are different.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

thanks, that's what i need. at the moment using kde mostly. i should be able to do that thing where i have it running and then i save the session when i log out and it starts up when i log in again but for some reason it doesn't work with ud.exe (it works with 'real' programs like kmix) so i'll try what you suggested, thanks.