Firefox slowdown

Discuss Applications
Ice9
guru
guru

Firefox slowdown

Post by Ice9 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:53 pm

After a recent dist-upgrade I started to experience really long delays in domain name resolution.
For each webpage I wanted to load Firefox first stayed a couple of seconds on e.g. "Looking up google.com" before going "Connecting to google.com".
It was very irritating, once you get used to having a page load instantly when you click on a link you have to get used to wait for 7-8 seconds for it to load again :)

If you experience the same behavior you can go into about:config and toggle

Code: Select all

network.dns.disableIPv6
to true.
That fixed it for me.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:07 pm

I haven't run into that yet but thanks!!

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:56 pm

There has been a discussion about this on the sidux forum and I would be very interested to know what you guys think about it.

This is the thread

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:51 pm

I had run into a lot of SSH slowness issues because of GLIBC resolver issues a few years back. That bug report you linked to in that thread seemed to be referring to the issue that I experienced but what makes you think such an old bug report (2003) is related to your issues?

In my case I actually pinned it down to GLIBC before I even found any bug reports on it by using "strace" to trace the ssh system calls. You might be able to strace apt and pin it down for sure to GLIBC or maybe to something else.

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:35 am

2003 huh? :?
Didn't notice the date, since we had a glibc upgrade not too long ago and the slowness started at that particular point in time I assumed that ... and of course now that you point me to the date of the bug report ... :roll:

Gonna set that straight over there as well, thanks for pointing it out.
I will try to find out more about strace and see if I can use it to some degree.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:02 am

Don't get me wrong, it surely "could" be a GLIBC bug and since it seemed to start happening after an upgrade of GLIBC that makes it even more interesting. An strace might help pin it down.

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:41 am

Yes of course it could be a glibc bug but even if it is, it can't be the same bug as 6 years ago, maybe a similar one but not that bug from 2003. :?