Mozilla being shelved in favour of phoenix

Discuss Applications
Calum
guru
guru

Mozilla being shelved in favour of phoenix

Post by Calum »

http://www.mozilla.org/roadmap.html

look at the new mozilla roadmap. now they have cleared the 1.0 hill, they want to streamline mozilla by making it a suite of apps rather than one huge hulking thing.

i suspect this will provoke strong reaction once it gets around.

Linux Frank
administrator
administrator

Post by Linux Frank »

So it appears. It is a shame, I really like mozilla over and above phoenix. What annoys me is all those extra features are going to be lost.

Still I heard of a browser project the other day that was depending on using mozilla for it's basis, It does not look like that browser supports open source so I steered clear. Looks like they will have to think again.

The suite idea is really a good one. They should have seperated mozilla mail a long time ago, and made it self functional. The direction they are taking is a good one, but mozilla was good, it was like a fully loaded development version, it would be nice to keep it runing.

However writing OS native is a better way to work, it allows people to explore the full capabilies of their OS.

Of course some people in the open source world will probably work on the mozilla code and try to continue improving it. And that might just be the point, in the world of open source can a project actually die if enough people use it and like it above the options being supported elsewhere. Time will tell and I think it will be interesting to watch. Are we in reality seeing AOL/Time Warner trying to float off the open source stuff, without raising too many angry voices? or is this a process of rationalisation. I think Moz. will continue to be developed outside of the current options, and it will be interesting to watch where this code goes now that the parents are cutting the apron strings.

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux »

Have no fear, all will be well.
Just my gut feeling...

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

nothing will be lost, it will all just become more modular so that each component will speed up.

even if you prefer mozilla to phoenix, phoenix is only at 0.5 now, i seriously think they will not use it till they have it to 1.0 on their roadmap. by then it will be as good as mozilla without any of the bloat.

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux »

With the full mozilla.org development team's turned towards it it has too turn out well. These doubters should have more faith!