mplayer

Discuss Applications
Master of Reality
guru
guru

mplayer

Post by Master of Reality »

I downloaded the slackware package for mplayer (from http://www3.linuxpackages.net/packages/ ... t/mplayer/) and i tried running it but i get many errors. like:
mplayer: error while loading shared libraries: libasound.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

before that it said "libdvdnav.so.1" and "libdvdread.so.2" which i dled both and installed.... is there any programs that i can install to fix all these dependencies (i already have all the slackware programs that came with slack9.0 installed)

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

If you do an "ldd /usr/bin/mplayer" it will tell you all of the shared libraries it is looking for. Those files need to be in your library path (directories listed in "/etc/ld.so.conf").

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality »

...erm.. theres a long list of libraries there so how can i find out if they are all there?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Without a package management system it can be difficult. I haven't used Slackware in many years so I don't know if there is anything you can do other than look in your library paths to see if the libraries exist (/lib, /usr/lib, etc). But to figure out what packages you need to get missing libraries I have no idea. If you have the package listings you can grep through them, or maybe even do a google search for the name of the library and "slackware". In Red Hat and Debian I just do an "apt-get install mplayer" and if there is a library missing it knows which package it belongs to and automatically installs it. Your best bet might be to follow the instructions on the MPlayer web site for installing from source.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

yep, that's about the height of it. slackware's packaging system does not check for dependencies, so this sort of thing just gets dumped in your lap really. if it's any help, MoR, i just compiled mplayer from source in slackware with no problems at all, now i have figured out how to install mplayer from source, it's the only way i'll install it.