Konqueror/ssh

Discuss Applications
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Konqueror/ssh

Post by Void Main » Fri Apr 04, 2003 11:30 pm

I just read something on ArsTechnica that is just slicker'n snot. Konqueror is cool. Not only is it a great browser (although I no longer use it as my primary browser) but it is a great file manager (I'm not much into graphical file managers) and great for browsing Samba and windows shares (smb://user:password@blah.blah/share) and great for browsing ftp sites (ftp://user:password@ftp.somewhere.com/somedir).

All of the above things I knew about for quite some time. What I *didn't* realize (maybe some of you did) is that it's a great graphical ssh/scp file manager (fish://username@sshserver.com). I don't know if I would use it or not because as I mentioned I'm not much into graphical file managers, but I just might for some things, it is so seamless.

Try it, you'll like it.

ButtDog
user
user

Cool

Post by ButtDog » Sat Apr 05, 2003 5:50 am

That is certainly good news. I never knew that you could use Konq as a SSH browser.

A very god thing to tell my Virtual Host friends. How is the security behind it?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Apr 05, 2003 7:48 am

I would assume that the security behind it is as good as your installed ssh version, which should be much better than ftp or any other non-encrypted protocol.

Lord C
scripter
scripter

Post by Lord C » Wed Apr 30, 2003 3:28 pm

Hmm
When i try fish://BaDDaSS@rock.tizworld.net
It goes to Really Long URL

[edit]
edited by Void Main for formatting
[/edit]

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Apr 30, 2003 3:40 pm

Hmmm, I assume you are running a recent version of KDE? I also assume you have all of the ssh RPMs installed? What distro/version are you running? Red Hat seems to have this set up automatically. I didn't have to do any configuring to get it to work, it just worked. It is part of "kio_fish" which is part of the "kdebase" RPM on my Red Hat system which I would assume must be installed to even run KDE. The only thing I can think of is you don't have ssh installed. It only works in KDE or Konqueror as mentioned. I assume that redirect was from trying it in Konqueror?

Lord C
scripter
scripter

Post by Lord C » Wed Apr 30, 2003 3:48 pm

Mandrake 9.0
KDE 3.0

I have SSH installed, because i use it for my IRC BNC shell.
And yes that was in Konq.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:00 pm

There appears to be an RPM for it in Mandrake:
http://rpms.mandrakeclub.com/rpms/borg/ ... .i586.html

Does that RPM exist on your install CD? If so is it installed? If not, why not? :)

Lord C
scripter
scripter

Post by Lord C » Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:27 pm

No trace of it on the install CDs :/

/me goes off to download/install

Lord C
scripter
scripter

Post by Lord C » Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:30 pm

That is brilliant!!

I have never seen a graphical SSH browser before, so i have nothing to compare too, but it beats text for the lazy people *cough* ;D

[edit] rofl, 3 minutes to make 2 posts and download / install it. Classic :D [/edit]