split zip

Discuss Applications
Tux
guru
guru

split zip

Post by Tux »

Hey, can somebody remind me of the syntax for splitting a zip file with tar or zip.

Also, will it be possible for the resultant files to be put back together with pkzip/winzip on a winders box?

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

it's just "split" do "man split" for more info, but to split a file into floppy sized bits i would do:

Code: Select all

split -b 1400000 filetobesplit.tar.bz2
for example.
and no pkzip and winzip will not be able to deal with split zip files, however there are a few shareware (and maybe even freeware!) tools that will allow you to concatenate the bits back together on a windows box. i have only ever used "cat" in cygwin for this, which works well, but it's overkill. there are a few lightweight ones around (on download.com et cetera) that i haven't tried but which claim to do this.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

You can use "COPY /B FILEBIT1+FILEBIT2+FILEBIT3 ORIGINALFILE" to paste a file that has been split in DOS/Windows.

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux »

Thanks guys.
I need to email something to a windows user but the file is over the attachment size allowed on linuxmail.org.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Can't you just put it on an http or ftp server somewhere so the recipient can just download it from a URL? It would save some grunt work on the mail servers.

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux »

I dont have any webspace or anything :(
But i'm being given a static IP adress to use soon, so i'll use that in the future.
It was a one off anyway :p