getting things to startup on user login

Discuss Applications
Calum
guru
guru

getting things to startup on user login

Post by Calum » Tue Apr 15, 2003 2:29 am

hello, i use xfce, and kdm. when i login, kdm starts xfce. now i started also using dfm, which runs on top of xfce and gives it all sorts of extra functionality (you can see it all happening here) but the thing is that xfce does not appear to have any actual scripts which it runs upon being started by kdm. now i want dfm to run every time i start xfce, but if i log in using another desktop environment such as kde, i do not want dfm to start. how would i get a script to only start dfm if xfce is running, and optionally i'd like it to be configurable so it would be able to start when fvwm or blackbox or windowmaker start also, but definitely not when gnome or kde start.

it sounds like a few simple lines, but i am not sure how to get it to check what desktop environment is running.

any hints?
thanks.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:12 am

okay, i tried editing /usr/bin/startxfce but it dodn't work (i don't know why, i am sure i edited it correctly) and i tried the same with /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.xfce but again, it didn't work. it appears though that xfce supports this thing where you put symlinks within ~/Desktop/Autostart and it runs them all upon startup. this has the benefit of not needing to be root to add stuff there and also it's user specific, so if i log in as another user, i don't necessarily have to have dfm running as that user.

Lord C
scripter
scripter

Post by Lord C » Wed Apr 30, 2003 3:13 pm

You and your DEs ;)

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Thu May 01, 2003 1:51 am

one other thing, if you use xfce and kde then it's a good idea to open up kcontrol and switch the desktop location from ~/Desktop to something like ~/.Desktop because then the desktop in kde is a) hidden and b) doesn't have a folder called 'Autostart' on it for xfce to use.

one other annoying thing is that i noticed if i put a symlink to gkrellm in the autostart folder, it starts it twice. odd behaviour, but true.