OpenOffice.org - best way to install?

Discuss Applications
Calum
guru
guru

OpenOffice.org - best way to install?

Post by Calum »

okay, in the past i usually have gone with whatever openoffice came with red hat or mandrake, and i also installed 1.0 a couple of times using the linux release of the openoffice.org website.
now i am going to install openoffice in peanut linux and what i want to know is, what's the best way to install openoffice?
i have had a few problems with it being a bit 'funny' in the past when i have trusted the binary versions so i thought i should compile it from source. is this wise? should i get the latest nightly (if they do nightlies) or should i get some latest beta version or what, or is openoffice really compliated to compile, and i would be better installing as per normal using their installer script?

whatdyareckon?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Hopefully someone else will give you a good answer as I've only installed it as part of Red Hat, or as update RPMs for Red Hat. I haven't ever been very keen on trying to compile it as I only have an Athlon 1600 w/512MB of RAM. :)

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality »

am using a beta right now (i installed from binary tho) and it is pretty stable

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

Void Main wrote:Hopefully someone else will give you a good answer as I've only installed it as part of Red Hat, or as update RPMs for Red Hat. I haven't ever been very keen on trying to compile it as I only have an Athlon 1600 w/512MB of RAM. :)
i only have a celery 700 with 128 MB of RAM! :shock:
maybe i'll o with their latest binary right enough...

Linux Frank
administrator
administrator

Post by Linux Frank »

I have been told build times are quite long from source, best get a cup of tea and some good music in the cdrom.

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee »

heh, binary worked fine for me (1.0.2)