OpenOffice.org and multiple files

Discuss Applications
Nobber
user
user

OpenOffice.org and multiple files

Post by Nobber »

Two questions about OpenOffice.org 1.0.1:

(1) If I have two documents open in Writer, is there a keyboard shortcut I can use to switch between them?

(2) If I have one document open in Writer and select File>Close, not only does the file close, Writer does too! Is there any way to prevent Writer from closing when the last file is closed?

I've looked in the OOo help, but to no avail.

Linux Frank
administrator
administrator

Post by Linux Frank »

Hi,

1. As far as I know the only way to do it at the moment is via the windows menus option, using the mouse.

2. I don't really understand why you would want this. I have seen this in other word processors, and I always thought it was a bug. It sure as hell was an inconvenience to me.

I would recommend you ask specifically at openoffice, they have some FAQs and an on-line help system where you can submit your queries, you have to sign up to a mailing list.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Maybe I don't understand your question but it works fine for me. When I open multiple documents it opens multiple writer windows and I use ALT+TAB to switch between them. And yes, if you File->Close it will close the document and the writer window that was open for that document but it doesn't close the other documents open in the other writer windows. Do I not understand your question?

Nobber
user
user

Post by Nobber »

Linux Frank wrote: I don't really understand why you would want this.
I don't - it's the wife. She's used to MS Turd, you see... :roll:

Anyhow, thanks for the tip about the OOo mailing lists. I'll give them a try.

Nobber
user
user

Post by Nobber »

Void Main wrote:When I open multiple documents it opens multiple writer windows and I use ALT+TAB to switch between them.
Isn't Alt+Tab a general window switcher, though? The user in question needs a Writer-specific window switcher, but I'll suggest that and see if it works.
And yes, if you File->Close it will close the document and the writer window that was open for that document but it doesn't close the other documents open in the other writer windows. Do I not understand your question?
Maybe not. The gist was that it doesn't seem possible to have Writer open, but no documents open - as is possible in MS Turd. I'll have to convince Mrs Nobber that this is not really a defect at all.

Linux Frank
administrator
administrator

Post by Linux Frank »

Alt-TAB does work for me, if your in writer it switches the documents.

If you have no documents open in a program, then having it open is a waste of resources and will slow your system down. Especially as what will happen is it will get paged to the swap file, which means you'll have to wait for it to recover.

It seems strange, my girlfriend switched from M$ to Linux and prefers it, she has never complained about anything, because it does everything she needs, she accepted that some things were different. She also says it looks so much better.

Nobber
user
user

Post by Nobber »

^This is more of a Turd-to-OOo/Writer problem than a MS-to-Linux problem. Just shows how set in our ways we can become with certain bits of software!