recommend me

Discuss Applications
Master of Reality
guru
guru

recommend me

Post by Master of Reality »

can everyone please recommend me a GUI interface for mysql. I have searched and searched. Is there any particularly good ones. And is there any that are ncurses based??? I only really need it for entering data as i will be making the tables and such directly using SQL but i will be getting people with no knowledge of almost anything computer related to enter in data into the tables i make. So i would like a user friendly interface for the entering data. I have ried gequel and it is alright, but seems like it will be slow making the entries (just because of them any steps involved in make a single record). Thanks guys and gals!

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

I have always written my own data entry interface using PHP via Apache if it's to be human entered data. Otherwise phpmyadmin or webmin come to mind.

Now if you want like a non-web based GUI app sort of like MS Access then I would suggest switching from MySQL to PostgreSQL and using pgaccess.

Of course you can always use OpenOffice as a front end to your database:
http://www.unixodbc.org/doc/OOoMySQL9.pdf

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

my host provided me with a MySQL database and they also provided a phpMyAdmin interface to go with it, i have to say i know nothing about databases, but phpMyAdmin is very easy for me to understand and deal with.

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality »

excellant. I shall try both of those, and possibly install postgresql just to see which i would prefer to use.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

And here's a screenshot I just took of Open Office using the ODBC explorer to add/edit data in a MySQL database on the remote Void web server. You can also create forms etc for manipulating your data very similar to MS Access.

http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/i/odbcOO.png