dumbass requires GUI mplayer aid please!

Discuss Applications
Calum
guru
guru

dumbass requires GUI mplayer aid please!

Post by Calum »

hello.

no big deal here, i installed mplayer from source and it works fine et c and plays "everything i throw at it"(TM) but how do i get all that skins/fonts/GUI stuff to work? basically i want it to have chrom and a bunch of transport controls and stuff, like quicktime, realplayer and all the other GUI movie players have.
i had a quick look at the mplayer download page and they seem to provide skins and fonts, but i have a feeling i will download these, slap them into their correct places and mplayer will behave the same as before. do i have to download the skins and fonts and then recompile, or will they really and truly work, or is there something else i need to do to get this button bar and so on?

thanks et c in advance...

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

I believe the option is in the configure script and called "--enable-gui" or something like that. It's been a long time since I compiled it from scratch and not used at least a source RPM. I know there is good documentation on this, if not included with the source package then on their web site, as I used to install it from source. I'll dig around and see if I can find precise information for you.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

By golly I found it right here in the FAQ. :) That was a joke. Actually it is all right here in section 1.3 of the user manual: http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

i am fairly certain i did specify that option, i did ./configure --help beforehand and wrote down all the options i wanted to set enabled, then typed them all in after ./configure - they were a total of four lines long, but i am certain i would have put --enable-gui - in fact i am fairly sure i remember putting that one in.

i was under the impression that if i had specified the gui option, i could just type "gmplayer" at a prompt, but that tells me the command doesn't exist. is it possible i simply didn't include --enable-gui ? i am doubting myself now. i know i didn't install anything other than the bog standard source package and the w32 codecs, no skins, no fonts et cetera.....

edit: gak! you do have a habit of replying to me at the same time as me and pipping me to the post! makes me look a right pillock! :D

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

thanks! i am embarrased to say i could easily have found that myself but thank you for taking the time to find it for me.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

well, now the gui works fine, but i can't play any videos because of this:
Error opening/initializing the selected video_out(-vo) device
<OK>
i am sure te answer will be in the manual but i have stuff to do now, so i think i will just keep using it with gui off for the time being...

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

In the GUI right click to bring up the menu, then "Preferences", then "Video", then click "x11". I had to do that when I first installed it because it defaulted to an output device that I didn't have all the pieces for (xv I believe was the default). x11 should work on any installation.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

thanks again!

xmga was the default on my one, but i tried to change it to xvidix, since that's what it told me i should do in the man page, since i have an ATI Rage video card. anyway, X11 works fine for me now, i don't know why i didn't try it before!

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Speaking of MPlayer. Last night I was browsing around the net and went to www.supercross.com and www.sxgp.com because I wanted to find out of Reed beat RC's ass again in Supercross. What I realized was that the race was going on right at that moment and they had live streaming audio of it. I clicked the "listen" link and mozilla prompted me if I wanted to download the file or open with an application. I picked "open with application" and selected "/usr/bin/gmplayer" and bingo, I was listening to live audio of the race. Now on the site they said the MS media player was required. I believe the link was an *.asx URL and I don't really know what the stream format was. I believe it was something like mmc://blah.blah.blah (I should have written it down). At any rate, MPlayer handled it without difficulty and I was extremely happy!

Speaking of bike, I'm going out riding right now with my son, will be gone all day (I have the exact same bike that Chad Reed has won the last 5 supercross races in a row with).

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux »

I believe there is some sort of mplayer plugin, I think i saw it on their homepage, do you have it installed?

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

if you have mplayer aware of your win32 codecs, all that 'you need media player' or 'you need quicktime' stuff can be viewed/listened to in mplayer i find. i haven't tried streaming but i have a lot of quicktime, realplayer and some windows media player files of different ages and types and so far all of the ones i have tried to play in mplayer work fine (pictures and sound).

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Yeah, I actually have two Mozilla/Netscape plugins installed for MPlayer. One of them is called "mplayerplug-in" and the other is "plugger". I guess I have to add .asx to my pluggerrc, dunno. Works fine the way it is though playing it outside of the browser in gmplayer. I think I actually prefer that to embedded. It does play a lot of other stuff embedded, oh well. On a side note I just got back from riding and I am completely 100% spent and so sore I can barely walk, I am really feeling old lately. What I wouldn't give to be 30 again. :)

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

i prefer it not to be embedded too.
sorry to hear you're so saddle sore!

my celery 700 just won't run gmplayer. for some reason i keep getting a 'your computer is too slow' dialogue box, but when i just use mplayer on its own, it seems to work okay. i couldn't get a dvd to play either, too jerky. i suppose i'll just have to admit that i can't really watch movies on this computer... :(