Struggling to access secure digital card

Discuss Applications
sh00der
scripter
scripter

Struggling to access secure digital card

Post by sh00der »

Hi, I am trying to access the secure digital sd card from my digital camera in RedHat 8.0. The camera is an obscure one (Umax 430) with no linux support so I tried getting a Jenoptik USB card reader that is compatible with mass storage. I couldn't get Linux to recognise the card reader and got 'not a valid block device' error when trying 'mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sdcard'. Also, once I've plugged in the card reader the terminal window hangs if I try 'cat /proc/bus/usb/devices', it works fine beforehand. I have checked that all the necessary kernel things are selected using xconfig. Can anyone help me out here or let me know of a card reader that works? I'd really appreciate it, thanks.

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux »

Does your camera format ut's storage in it's own form format, I understand some MP3 players and digital cameras do that.
Do you need special software and/or drivers to access it in Windows or does it just appear as another disk drive?

sh00der
scripter
scripter

Post by sh00der »

Tux, I can only access the camera using the special software in windows, but when using the usb card reader it appears as a removable drive in windows and is accessible directly without any drivers. The pictures are stored as jpegs.