Ximian makes changes to OpenOffice

Discuss Applications
agent007
administrator
administrator

Ximian makes changes to OpenOffice

Post by agent007 »

Interesting stuff!! We can now expect a very polished product indeed! For those of u who dont know, Ximian is the company behind Evolution..Check out the presentation below:-

http://www.gnome.org/~michael/XimianOOo/ooo.html

rgds,

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

hmm, i don't suppose they have a version ready yet for laypersons to try out do they?

Linux Frank
administrator
administrator

Post by Linux Frank »

Not yet, but sometime in 'spring 2003' they claim. It is a full desktop suite, including, I think, all their products. It'll be a huge download of around 200MB. Bad for the dialup people. still they may produce a lightweight version.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

i can download it at work and use cygwin to split it over 2 zip disks to take home! :D it'll take about 10 minutes in total.

still, i'd prefer it to be modular rather than integrated, i wasn't too keen on the staroffice desktop/lotus smartsuite approach to application integration. what if i want to use kword for word processing, siag for spreadsheet, and ooimpress for presentations all at once? they are all from different office suites so if they were all integrated i would be cluttering up my interface and probably wasting a lot of RAM too.

still i am sure they will do a good job of it. i saw a pc magazine today that said gnome-office was going to merge with openoffice, but that magazine was hopeless. it had a 5 page 'can you live without microsoft' section and concluded that only browsers and email clients were any use on non windows platforms, by comparison with microsoft's offerings.

sorry, let's not get distracted from the topic, namely OOo and Ximian.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

I am sure you will be able to download/install it separately just like you can with Evolution. I personally haven't seen a screen shot that I thought looked better than what I already have. In fact the screenshots I have seen look worse in my opinion. But screenshots never do anything justice. I will have to see/use it before making any judgements. Maybe I don't care for it because it looked more gnome-i-fied and I have never been a big fan of default gnome icons etc. And the fonts didn't look nearly as good as what I already have but again, it's hard to tell from a screenshot and I'll have to wait and see. I don't have a speed issue like I have in the past and that many of you seem to have with OOo so this isn't very important to me.