source rpm -> source tarball

Discuss Applications
Calum
guru
guru

source rpm -> source tarball

Post by Calum »

hello, i am trying to download pango.
the reason is, i have peanut linux installed and i want to install gtk from source then gnome from source, and pango is a dependency of gtk. currently there is no recent pango apparently available from gtk.org, its official location, there are links to it, but it is not there, i don't know why. however i was able to download a source rpm of pango from redhat.com. Now how would one go about converting this into a source tarball? is it necessary to have rpm installed in order to do this? i think peanut does have rpm installed. One other thing i thought of was i could use rpm2tgz (which i have on slackware) to make a tgz of it, install it using installpkg (which i know peanut does have) and then just go to /usr/src and compile it from there, or is there another way?
what is the best way do you think?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Most source RPMs contain nothing more than the original source tarball of the program along with a SPEC file. There may be patches included but not always. I don't have rpm2tgz but rpm comes with rpm2cpio (wish it came with rpm2tgz instead). To extract a src.rpm using rpm2cpio I would "rpm2cpio file.src.rpm | cpio -id" so not having ever used rpm2tgz I would assume you could "rpm2tgz file.src.rpm | tar -xvzf -". Maybe there is a man page on it?

[edit]
Actually I just looked at Slackware's documentation on it and it says it just converts an RPM to a tgz file:

http://www.slackware.com/book/index.php ... x4000.html

So just "rpm2tgz file.src.rpm" and then "tar -xvzf file.tgz".
[/edit]

Tux
guru
guru

Re: source rpm -> source tarball

Post by Tux »

Calum wrote:hello, i am trying to download pango.
the reason is, i have peanut linux installed and i want to install gtk from source then gnome from source, and pango is a dependency of gtk. currently there is no recent pango apparently available from gtk.org, its official location, there are links to it, but it is not there, i don't know why. however i was able to download a source rpm of pango from redhat.com. Now how would one go about converting this into a source tarball? is it necessary to have rpm installed in order to do this? i think peanut does have rpm installed. One other thing i thought of was i could use rpm2tgz (which i have on slackware) to make a tgz of it, install it using installpkg (which i know peanut does have) and then just go to /usr/src and compile it from there, or is there another way?
what is the best way do you think?
Why are you installing gtk and gnome from source?
Just for fun?

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

well, i installed peanut linux for two reasons, firstly it has an unusual selection of software as standard, for example the only desktop environment you get is enlightenment, but you get all the applets and you get gkrellm too, also it comes with pkgtool2, which is a nifty little tool to install rpms and debs and source packages directly through the pkgtool package manager. basically peanut linux is nice and fresh and original and i wanted a shot of it. secondly, it does not include Qt, it does not include GTK+, it doesn't come with gnome, kde, xfce windowmaker et cetera, i thought this would be the perfect opportunity to get some proper experience installing something huge and complicated like a desktop environment with tons of libraries and dependencies. this will also give me the chance to try out GNOME 2.3 ;)
and all without having to mess up my main slackware system.