GPSDrive

Discuss Applications
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

GPSDrive

Post by Void Main » Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:16 am

I bought a Geko 201 GPS unit a couple of months back. I wanted it mostly to mount on my dirt bike but it has come in very handy while driving. It is an extremely cool and useful toy.

What does this have to do with Linux you ask? Well, the cool factor rises 10 fold when used with a nice Linux app called GPSDrive. I have gone on a couple of 300+ mile trips in the last month and I stick the laptop on the seat right next to me.

I can create waypoints and routes and it maps my trail as I drive, tells me all sorts of useful information. The waypoints are saved in a MySQL database (I believe you can keep them in a plain text file as well if you want).

I have a handlebar mount for my motorcycle which makes navigation through the woods a breeze. I also map out our riding locations and import them into GPSDrive and print out a nice map.

I paid a little over $100 for the GPS unit and then another $50-60 on accessories (Serial cable, handlebar mount etc). Of course the software is free. I need to send a note to Fritz thanking him for a great piece of software.