3 button mouse

Discuss Applications
Basher52
guru
guru

3 button mouse

Post by Basher52 »

think this is a general matter...

i only got a 2 button mouse and whan i installed RH i saw that you could emulate a 3rd button and since i thought that sounded nice, i used that function.
but...where and when is it "active". i have not yet found a place that the simulated 3rd-button will work.
i havent done anything else with this function other than at the installtime

i gotta do something wrong...rite?

B52

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Many window managers use the 3rd button for a 3rd menu. If you click somewhere on the background with each menu button it will bring up a different menu/function (depending on the window manager and how it's configured). For instance, in KDE it should bring up the window/desktop list. Also the middle button is used for "paste" in X. For instance, highlight some text in a shell/terminal, middle click in another window (or the same window) and that text should be pasted into the new window. Also if you middle click on a Link in Mozilla/Firebird it will open the link in a new tab. Of course each X app may use the middle button for various things. Of course it's a little easier to actually have a middle button rather than trying to click both buttons at the same time (can be a pain).

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 »

k...i thought it would be in Mozilla, and i thought the "same time" is kinda relative, i mean, that the function making this happen would disregard the little timedifference between the buttonclicks.
but ill try it again sometime.

i usually only use the console anyway...lol

thx Void
B52