About phpBB

Discuss Applications
bazoukas
programmer
programmer

About phpBB

Post by bazoukas »

I am downloading it now.
BUt I am wondering. In order to set it up, I gather that you need to know about MYSQL right?

Well let me rephrase my question, besides phpBB what else other software I should take under consideration in order to make it work?
I will be hosting it in my machine.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Just have to make sure PHP, Sendmail, and MySQL are working. I can help you with all of them..

bazoukas
programmer
programmer

Post by bazoukas »

AAAAAllright Sendmail....whoah now thats awesome. :shock: That is the defacto mail application for *X.

I have installed everything in my system just in case i need it.
I am gonna be taking MYSQL next semester. This is gonna be intresting. Am gonna start reading about it from this week though and take it from there.

I will make sure though before I start asking questions to read more about MYSQL and sendmail so I wont flood you with extreme noobish questions.
Infact There are books at my schools library about that.

Allright Mano, thank you :D

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

I'll give you a Red Hat 8.0 Sendmail hint right off the bat (for outgoing mail only):

First make a backup copy of your /etc/mail tree. Then put this in /etc/mail:

http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/files/sendmail.mc

Replace "voidmain.is-a-geek.net" wherever you see it above with whatever you want to show up in the "@somewhere.com". Hint, somewhere.com needs to be resolvable in DNS either with an A record or MX record. And this is *only* for sending mail. If you want to also receive mail you'll need to change one line above. I do not want to receive mail on my machine so I left sendmail listening on 127.0.0.1. For outgoing mail, many mail servers will reject your mail if it isn't from a valid domain or host that is resolvable in DNS (you don't have to own this name, it is masquerading afterall, think spam).

From the above sendmail.mc file you will build a new sendmail.cf:

# cd /etc/mail
# m4 < sendmail.mc > sendmail.cf
# chkconfig sendmail on
# service sendmail start

Test:
# echo "This is a test" | mail -s "test subject" somebody@somewhere.com

This should get you going...

bazoukas
programmer
programmer

Post by bazoukas »

I just set up a nice array. I will be switching back and forth so I will always have a clean workable system while I do the setups on the other one.

Monday afternoon the games shall begin!!!