my big bad "#%&"!

Discuss Applications
Basher52
guru
guru

my big bad "#%&"!

Post by Basher52 »

i forgot the password to the account that i use for the TeamSpeak server.
How can i get that one back?

do i have to delete the account and add it again?

B52

UPDATE: i just got it...i had to misspelled it a lot of times, cuz now when i tried it again...it worked :)
but...its nice to figure out how to do this anyway, since im gonna forget some account password sometime...lol

and..since i use 'su' to change the account that starts the teamspeak server, in the /etc/rc.d/rc.local, how do a pass along the password for that account? it wont start the teamspeak since its asking the password for that account...

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Arrrr????

Membrax
scripter
scripter

Post by Membrax »

I guess that your password is ********* isn't it ?

:lol:

Humor is good for the spirit.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

No, I just have no idea what your message was about. What's a Teamspeak?

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 »

TeamSpeak is for us gamers that lets you talk to eachother during gameplay :) kinda cool
but the most important question is about how i can... if i can, use the su
command to start this, or other daemons with another account that need a password ?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

I don't know enough about the daemon but if your original question was about a normal user Linux account that you forgot the password on then you can just reset that password as root with the passwd command:

# passwd username

Give me an example of the command that you use to start this thing, and under what user. I would have to know more about the daemon before I could comment any further. Do you have a link?

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 »

all data can be DLd from teamspeak.org, and the account im trying to use is just an account i made...: tss

the start of the daemon is no problem if i do that manally, but when trying
do to this in /etc/rc.d/rc.local i have to use the su command to be able to change the account from root, as i dont want the daemon to run under that.

Ive looked around and it seems that the su command cant handle the "pipe" so i wonder if its possible to use the su command and the daemon or any daemon or a normal application that i want to run under a different account than root

hope this clears it for you :)

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

You can certainly start any command line program as any user from a startup script using the su command:

su - user -c "put your command here | including something piped from the previous command"

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 »

Ive tried this, but since the other account needs a password...
how to I pass that along? ... to 'su' I mean

B52

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

So it's no the UNIX user's password you need, it's the teamspeak process itself that requires the password. In that case it's not an "su" issue it's a teamspeak issue. You need to figure out how to start teamspeak without a password or how to pass one one (usually you can't pipe in passwords). I don't have experience with teamspeak so you will have to do some google searching or read the howtos from where it came.

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 »

hmm...how do i let u know what i mean...lol

ive created an account in linux and its under this account i want the daemon(teamspeak) to run, if i dont do this, the /etc/rc.d/rc.local will start the daemon as root, and its this i want to change, due to...if there is a flaw in teamspeak i dont want some ppl to get in as root.

so my question is, how do i pass a password for 'su' so that teamspeak, or any other program i wish to start from /etc/rc.d/rc.local, run under that account

B52

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux »

Lets go boolean.

Is it su you want to pass a password to or not?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

You don't have to pass a password when you su to a normal user from root, unless it is the process that you are starting that requires the password is what I am tryin to say, which I assume is the case with you.

Let's break this down. How *exactly* do you start this process under the normal user account? e.g.

1) login to Linux as a normal user with normal username and password (say username is "void")
2) $ /somepath/teamspeak -somparam

If step #2 doesn't ask for a password then you don't need to pass a password to the su command. The command you would use in your rc.local would look like so:

su - void -c "/somepath/teamspeak -someparam"

root is all powerful and doesn't require the password of a normal user to become that user with the "su" command. If Step #2 requires a password because it is actually the "teamspeak" process that is password protected by some teamspeak proprietary method then I go back to suggesting my previous advice which is ask the teamspeak poeple how to start the process without requiring a password.

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 »

k...i got it...finally :)

i wanted the password for 'su'...yes, but as Void just told me, i dont need to set a password since root can logon as any account without a password, and this i didnt know...but i sure do know :) and I'll never forget it...lol
u learn new stuff everyday...but in this case, every other day...lol

thnx Void...ur da man :D

thnx...gotta try this.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

And you might want to have any output redirected to a log file and you'll want to background the process if it doesn't daemonize itself (otherwise the rc.local script will hang):

Code: Select all

su - void -c "/somepath/teamspeak -someparam > /somepath/teamspeak.log 2>&1 &"