my big bad "#%&"!

Discuss Applications
Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 »

I checked the rc.local again(for the 711th time) and now i saw that i missed the parm that tells the teamspeak to start...lol
i need no log since the only output that comes is one row telling that the process has started as process #xxxx
(the line AFTER the teamspeak-line is run since the 'screen' daemon starts, so that gotta mean the rc.local keeps running and dont hang)

Another thing...the first '>' character u wrote in ur example, this one i know is for putting the output into a file, but the next things:
'2>&1 &' i dont know :(

i think i know that the last '&' means to start the daemon as backgrouns process, right? but what about the '2>&1'

B52

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Basher52 wrote:Another thing...the first '>' character u wrote in ur example, this one i know is for putting the output into a file, but the next things:
'2>&1 &' i dont know :(

i think i know that the last '&' means to start the daemon as backgrouns process, right? but what about the '2>&1'
'>' redirects STDOUT
"2>' redirects STDERR
'2>&1' redirects STDERR to STDOUT
'&' starts a process in the background and returns control to the command line

Did you ever run a command and try and pipe it into the "more" (or less) command annoyingly only to find out that "more" seemed to have no effect (page the output)? An example might be to type this:

Code: Select all

xset
Since you didn't give xset a parameter it just spit out a help screen. Well, the help screen probably scrolled off of your screen so normally one would pipe it into "more" so you can read what scrolled by one page at a time like so:

xset | more
Hmmm, "more" didn't seem to work huh? That's because the "xset" command printed it's help page out to the STDERR channel and not STDOUT like most programs do it and more is only readong STDIN. So what you can do is redirect the STDERR channel to STDOUT and then pipe it to more like so:

xset 2>&1 | more
Now more can page it.

Having two channels like this is very useful because you can send messages (maybe error messages) out the STDERR channel and send normal messages out the STDOUT channel and have them go to two different places. Maybe you want to redirect STDOUT to a file but have any error messages go to your screen:

somecommand > somefile.log
Or maybe you want normal output to go to one file and errors go to another file:

somecommand > somefile.log 2> somefile.err
Or maybe you just want both normal messages and error messages to go to the same file:

somecommand > somefile.log 2>&1
which is usually what I do when starting commands in the background. If you do not redirect the output when you background a command the command can hang up if it does have to send a message as it no longer has a place to go (if you background it and log off that is). Most good programmers (and some not so good, like me) make good use of both STDOUT and STDERR.

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 »

very informative...thx Void
gotta save this at a safe place...thx

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

It's all in the bash man page under the section titled "REDIRECTION". In fact I just realized there is an easier way to redirect both STDOUT and STDERR to the same file. Instead of:

$ somecommand > /somedir/somecmd.log 2>&1
you could just:

$ somecommand &> /somedir/somecmd.log
which appears to be equivalent according to the man page.

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 »

k..thnx

so i think i better sit down and start reading the man page on bash.

B52

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Well, there's a lot in the man page. Basic redirection, pipes, and job control are good to know though. There's a lot to know about bash. A good place to go to pick up on a lot of the basics, in probably a much more fun way would be to browse around this site:

http://www.linuxrefresher.com/

or if you want more in depth, here are 500 online pages on programming in bash:

http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/

the redirection section:

http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/io-redirection.html