Perl vs. PHP/MySql

Discuss Applications
cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Perl vs. PHP/MySql

Post by cdhgold »

i'm currently looking into different forum softare to add to my site. I wanted to get opinons of the learning curve and worth while of learning perl and using perl based forums or learning php/sql and using forum solution based on it? I have no knowledge of perl and/or php and only basic sql skill.

Chris

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

I suggest learning and using both and believe they are in the same class as far as being easy to learn and both provide similar functionality. The reason I would say learn both is because there is a wealth of good code for both. Of course you probably would rather start learning just one. For web based user interface type of stuff I slightly prefer PHP. For more underlying OS type of scripting I slightly prefer Perl, however both can be used for either. Both can be used as a scripting language but PHP is more commonly used as a module in Apache. To use perl for web interface programming you need to write your code as CGI scripts (unless you want to use Apache's mod_perl). I believe it is much more common to use PHP these days over mod_perl. I guess that doesn't really answer your question. I would suggest you start with PHP if you want to do web interface scripting. I believe both are easy to learn.

cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Post by cdhgold »

actually that does answer my question. i will eventually learn both but for my purposes right now PHP will suit my more immedaite needs. thanks