LinCVS

Discuss Applications
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

LinCVS

Post by Void Main » Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:34 am

If you like GUIs for your tools and you are a CVS user (or would like to use CVS) then LinCVS is for you. I've tried a few different cvs GUIs in the last couple of days and there are some really good ones but so far this one stands above the rest that I have tried. I have added it to my apt repository for those Fedora users out there. You can also get binaries for other distros and Mac OSX, and of course you can get the source. There are also lots of nice screen shots on the web site:

http://www.lincvs.org/

I have a lot of coding projects going on and I thought it was time to get everything into CVS so I can keep track of all the revisions and go back to any revision if necessary. I also put the voidmain.is-a-geek.net web site into CVS for similar reasons. It's a way to track changes and keep a backup (although I do keep off-site backups of everything I do anywhere).

Of course like anything, if you know how to use the command line cvs command it may be easier/faster to use it than firing up a GUI. This app really is tight, fast, and well designed though. Lots of nice features like charting out the lineage of files.

If anyone already uses CVS for some of their work, or anyone is interested in using CVS for their work but don't know how I suggest we start a topic on how to set up and use CVS. I am still a novice and I think there may be easier ways to do some CVS functions than the way I currently do it. I would be interested in learning together with others because I have already discovered that CVS is extremely useful and I can't believe I haven't started using it prior to now. Another thing I've noticed is that it is not hard to use, but I haven't found any *really good* n00b documentation that is easy to follow. I'm thinking about writing a CVS tip or HOWTO that would be easier to follow than the others ou there so CVS can become more widely used. Or maybe someone knows of a good tutorial that I have not yet seen that would fit the description.

EDIT: I just had an idea. Maybe I could set up a CVS server on voidmain.is-a-geek.net and actually use it to create the CVS tutorial. I could create a CVS account for anyone who wants to contribute and they could just make changes to the tutorial as needed, and learn how to use CVS in the process. CVS would keep track of who changed what and I could set it up so any changes are displayed immediately. Just thinking out loud (TOL).