How to get through a router

Discuss Networking
JoeDude
administrator
administrator

How to get through a router

Post by JoeDude »

Problem: Everytime I send my IP to someone for a download off of me via apache2, they end up at my routers sysadmin login screen. Not all that bad, unless they happen to be able to read chinese. I checked it and port 8080 had been forwarded to it, but there was no IP left next to it. First, how do I get peeps through the router. Second If my router reasigns IP everytime I log on and off, how do I assign my pc a static Ip fromt he router. Third, anyone that can read mandarin would be a great help.

Router = Netmate NMR004Gold broadband router

See what I mean at http://211.217.152.34

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

You say you are forwarding port 8080 to your internal server? If so, which port on your internal server are you forwarding to? If you are forwarding 8080 from your router to your server on 8080 then you would have to have your web server listening on 8080 and you would have to go to http://211.217.152.34:8080 but I don't think that is what you want to do. I think what you want to do is forward 80 to your server's 80 right? I haven't checked your router's manual but it should have a way to disable the binding of the administrative interface to your public interface's port 80 (or at least reasign it to a different port). You should then be able to forward port 80 from your public interface to your internal server's port 80 (if this router has port forwarding capabilities).

As far as static IP addresses go, you just manually configure your inside machines with a static IP address that is *not* in the DHCP range of your router, but *is* on the same subnet that your router serves. For instance, if your router's internal network is 192.168.1.0 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and it's internal interface is assigned 192.168.1.1 and the DHCP range it serves is 192.168.1.100 through 192.168.1.200 then you can assign a static address to inside machines from 192.168.1.2 through 192.168.1.99 and 192.168.1.201 through 192.168.1.254.

EDIT: I did a google search for this router and everything came up in Chinese so I don't believe I will be of any help on this one. I have a hard enough time with my primary language, English. :)

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude »

All right then. I picked up a new router. It's a Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL Router with a 4 port switch, Model #BEFSR41. It's extremely windows friendly...well sort of. It took a little doing to get online with it, but it works great on the XP side of the house. Obviously, I only want XP to play certain games and do some things from work. I want to run SuSE on it. But for GAWD knows what reason, I can't get Linux to connect to it.
My Lan card is a 3COM3C900B-TPO Ethernet adapter. I can get the modems set up page, but I can't get on the internet at all. I get "can't find page" messages" except when I enter the modems addy http://192.168.1.1 . Which takes me to it's set up page. Does this mean my card is talking to it and additional things need to be done to set it up for linux, or is it a card config problem in linux itself. My Wifes box is XP and I'm dual booting with XP and SuSE 9.1. Wifes XP box and mine when in XP works fine, only when I boot too SuSE do I have no internet?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

You didn't mention if you were using DHCP or statically assigning your IP address on your SUSE side. If you are using DHCP it should configure everything properly for you. If you are using a static address you have to make sure to use your router's address as your gateway (192.168.1.1). If you do not set your gateway address then you will be able to get *to* your router but not *past* your router. You can verify your routing table by typing "netstat -rn" at a shell prompt.

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude »

I was using DHCP, but for some reason linux was trying to do a static IP. I am online with Linux now. I don't know if XP works or not, but that's not important, I only use it to play games!! Thanx.

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 »

If Windows gets a hold of the internet, you'll be in trouble!

X11
guru
guru

Post by X11 »

Yea, I have problems with games... had problems with games. It wasnt much of a problem there were no game servers. And anything I did serve was pretty efficient, actually thats what i do now. I have load balanceing tricks, throttleing that runs through apache, basically a 2 part website, the downfall is that there is more risk of the server stopping to work, However I run a backup process on my other server (the front end throttleing servers, and my very powerful FTP server (vsftpd), it also is a dns server and a squid proxy. It could do quite a lot for a low memory machine. (http://kintaro.kicks-ass.org/sysinfo/je ... ed hourly)

And yea I have shorewall which works really well, despite being on dialup, anyone in the house can connect by a simple webpage with some basic authentication and dial the modem, even if its disconnected squid keeps users on hold until it reconnects. Of course for instant messengers, games, and things that dont go through the squid proxy, the connections of course are cut off.

Yea my server setup is pretty leet, soon ill have ADSL and will put FreeBSD on my new server, my old servers harddrive in my much bigger desktop, and also my hardrive now after some partitioning resiving to give me big 80gb adsl archive of oops i download (im on dialup and have already filled 43G of it. But I am already planning a cleanup for that, like destroying old backup disk images stored on disk.

Yea ill stop craping on now

theres some idearies for ya man