Webserver

Discuss Networking
Dfire2
user
user

Webserver

Post by Dfire2 »

Can I get some detailed information on how to do a webserver from the router without using OpenWRT. Right now im using Alchemy from Sveasoft. I need a couple of the features on the Alchemy so I can't switch over to OpenWRT. OpenWRT never worked for me anyway. So what can I do to get a webserver running on my router? Also is it possible to do password protect pages with the .htaccess on there?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

I do not allow SVEASOFT discussion here. If you want help with SVEASOFT you will have to ask them on their forums.

Dfire2
user
user

Post by Dfire2 »

k, well do you know why openwrt didn't work on my router? when i flashed it, it just didn't respond at all and i had to flash it with something else during the bootwait time.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

I have no idea, did you build it yourself? What version of OpenWRT and what version of router? Did you ask for help on the OpenWRT forums?

Dfire2
user
user

Post by Dfire2 »

I can't remember where i got the copy of wrt54g, no i didn't build it myself. and no i didn't look on the forums because i figured it was a lower end firmware without a lot of features. where can i find a good copy that i don't have to build myself? or is there a reason i should build it myself?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Lower end? Not quite. The sky is the limit with OpenWRT (or the RAM is the limit I should say). They all start from the same source. SVEASOFT is nothing more than a slightly modified stock LinkSys firmware and I think the guy over there is an ungrateful GPL hating CeNsOrEd so I don't allow discussion of his customized versions here. Of course SVEASOFT like the stock LinkSys firmware is already running a web server, that's how the configuration web pages are served. On my OpenWRT router I actually have two different web servers running on it at the same time, neither are the stock versions. In fact one is even capable of PHP.

http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net:82/

To install a web server on OpenWRT it would be as simple as "ipkg install webserver" if "webserver" is the name of the server package you want to install. I would suggest that if you are interested in OpenWRT that you sign up on their forums though. My site is more for Linux based distributions, GPL and other related Open source that runs on Linux. Yes OpenWRT and other LinkSys firmware are Linux based but the people coming here for help don't seem to really care about that so I don't particularly like dealing with WRT54G issues here too much and sometimes regret writing the revival tip that seems to draw all the WRT54G people here.