wth MATE

Discuss Networking
X11
guru
guru

wth MATE

Post by X11 »

Here is something interesting that happened to me.

I am sure anyone with Wifi, and even some without, know about channel overlapping. However I never knew how much they overlap.

I was having problems with my laptop connecting to my wireless lan, it kept dropping out every few hours, and I found the problem was the 2.4ghz surround sound speakers in the lounge, I turned them off and the connection was perfect and the speed was fine. Normally however the speakers dont interfere.

I decided to change the channel I use for my wlan (I usually use 6), I changed it on my router to 13 and then I went to change it on my laptop. When I did that I found the problem with the speakers, the laptop was on channel 3, but somehow it still worked fine which is somewhat bizarre.

ZiaTioN
administrator
administrator

Post by ZiaTioN »

I changed it on my router to 13
Ahh good ole' non US channels! Why do we get screwed out of two channels!? LOL...

Anyway a few years back when I first got wireless (.b standard days) I had a 2.4 GHZ cordless phone that interfered with my routers default channel. I noticed that whenever someone called my internet connection would drop. I though "what is this crap? Am I on dial up again!!??". And when I was on the phone I heard a terrible repeating clicking sound.

I realized that my phone was on channel 1 and so was my router. I switched the router to channel 11 (highest US channel) and all was fine.
the laptop was on channel 3, but somehow it still worked fine which is somewhat bizarre.
Are you saying that your laptop was looking for a signal on channel 3 and your wireless broadcast device was broadcasting on channel 13 and it still worked? You should only ever have to change the channel on the device that broadcasts the wireless signal. The distant end wireless devices that receive this signal will scan the range looking for an acceptable singal to connect to so I am not sure how this is possible. Maybe there is a bug in the wireless cards firmware that displays a 3 when it is really on 13?