Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Is your sendmail service running?

# chkconfig --list sendmail
# service sendmail status

If not:

# chkconfig sendmail on
# service sendmail start

If it was on look in root's mailbox on your machine and see if any reject messages are in there... It works fine on all my machines, not that that helps you out.

agent007
administrator
administrator

Post by agent007 »

Sendmail is running...This may be of some interest..I found it in the root folder....Thing is why aren't the mails in the mailq?

** THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY **
** YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE **

The original message was received at Thu, 10 Apr 2003 01:36:37 +0530
from root@localhost

----- Transcript of session follows -----
451 yahoo.com: Name server timeout
Warning: message still undelivered after 4 hours
Will keep trying until message is 5 days old

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

What is in root's mailbox?

$ su -
# pine

If you try and send a message and is rejected right away because of a sendmail configuration problem it will go to root's mailbox and you will not see it in the mail queue.

The error message you found indicates a DNS error, probably because you aren't hooked up to the Internet which is why I said I would configure my mail client to use an SMTP server rather than using sendmail locally.

agent007
administrator
administrator

Post by agent007 »

VoidMain,

Ur right, the system is not connected to the net when I send the mails. So, let's forget about the DNS stuff for now. The problem seems to be that the mails after leaving Evolution do NOT go to the /var/spool/mqueue folder but they all go to the folder /var/spool/clientmqueue That is why mailq always shows Total requests as ZERO.

Is this normal? I've been changing stuff in the sendmail.mc file nearly the whole night now..but the mails still refuse to go to the mqueue folder.

bye,

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Actually, I believe it is going to the proper place for a direct execution of the sendmail program. I believe this "clientmqueue" is a brand new thing that I don't recall being in older versions of sendmail. I also believe if it would have come in via SMTP it would have gone to the mqueue rather than clientmqueue. I don't know the specifics of why this was split out. You might want to read over http://www.sendmail.org/

But, you can't ignore the problems you will have trying to run this on a dialup connection. I wouldn't even mess with it.