linux and xp network ?

Discuss Networking
Trem
n00b
n00b

linux and xp network ?

Post by Trem » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:56 pm

Hi all

I am currently having trouble getting any linux distros connected to the internet mainly due to the fact that the ethernet card on my motherboard has no kernals that support it as of yet,( asrock dual sata m/b) :(

I have an old msi intel p4 board that i have had online before with linux and enough bits to make a second pc possibly 3 , what i want to know is would it be possible to connect the linux box to my xp box through ethernet cable or wireless,ie internet sharing.

or would it be easier to build the second pc and try and get wireless running on it direct to my router

Danny

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:20 pm

Or you could pick up a $10 PCI ethernet card. What is your wireless chipset? At a shell prompt do this:

# /sbin/lspci

That will list all your devices and their chipsets. To get more detailed into add a "-v" to the command line.

Trem
n00b
n00b

Post by Trem » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:52 am

Hi Void Main

The card is a belkin 5700uk pci with a broadcom chipset BCM4306, i have tried all the different drivers i can find for that chipset and they all come up in / ndiswrapper - l as invalid drivers.

I think i will build the other pc today and put fedora on it and just connect with ethernet through a wireless access point .

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:12 pm

It looks like that chipset should work with ndiswrapper. Maybe you installed the wrong XP driver. Here is a link to some instructions for a different card with that chipset but on Debian. The ndiswrapper part should be the same though:

http://dossy.org/archives/000110.html

I also see indications here that the BCM4306 should work with ndiswrapper and Fedora:
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/medi ... php/Fedora