New server, but I am at a loss as to what to do next

Discuss Networking
xyle_one
programmer
programmer

New server, but I am at a loss as to what to do next

Post by xyle_one » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:11 pm

Long story short, my old host took a dump on me, which made me play my cards too soon. I wasn't planning on doing this for another month, but I ended up renting a dedicated machine. My options were limited thanks to my budget. Had I the extra month, it would have been smoother, and I would have made life easier and gotten a machine with cpanel or something on it. I am ok with using a terminal and webmin if I need to. The machine is only for a handful of sites and projects. I do have a friend who will be supervising the administration and configuration of this machine, however, he is out of town for a while. I would like to at least get started.

First thing, I do not know much about DNS at all. If I want my sites to resolve to me, I need to define the authoritative nameservers on my server?

Is there maybe a good resource online that would help explain this to me? I looked around, but I wasn't terribly thrilled with the search results.

The server itself is Redhat Enterprise 3.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:10 am

Was the old host that took a dump on you also the authoritative DNS server? If not you just have to change the DNS entries for the sites you are moving to point to the new IP addresses. For instance, if your domains are registered with Network Solutions or GoDaddy and you were also using them to provide name resolution (DNS) for your sites then you would go to Network Solutions or GoDaddy's DNS administration tool and change your DNS records there.

xyle_one
programmer
programmer

Post by xyle_one » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Yep, I got it figured out. I was making things much more complicated than they needed to be :oops: