resell wireless

Discuss Networking
cdhgold
administrator
administrator

resell wireless

Post by cdhgold » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:35 pm

I live out in the country beyond the reach of cable and/or dsl broadband. I can get wireless broadband but it requires I purchase and install an antenna capable of receiving the signal over the tree line. When I do this i know i have neighbors that would be willing to pay to be able to get hi speed over my wireless signal. any suggestion on if this can be set up and if so how? so that i could allow someone's ap to access my antenna?

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:04 pm

LOL I thought every place in Texas could get cable!

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:09 pm

Yes this is certainly possible. It may go against the contract you sign with your wireless provider but that's not a technical issue of course. There have been several examples of setting this up over at the www.openwrt.org forums. I haven't been keeping up with forums there lately so not sure if the examples are still there but it really isn't hard to set up. There are several approaches you can take. The easiest would be to create a wireless bridge between your house and their houses and put them on the same network as your clients. Of course this would be the least secure and you may want a little privacy and keep your traffic separate so you can't spy on each other. There are a few different ways to do this by actually routing between the devices rather than bridging and possibly using separate vlans. How far apart are your neighbors houses? You will probably also need appropriate antennae between all of you depending on your geographic configuration.